Views
Helpful
Replies

4900M+Nexus 5548 to replace 6509

scottchang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are planing replace 6509 to 4900M+Nexus5548 due to A/C and Power issue. We have two 6509s and plan to use  two 4900M (20xRJ45 and 8x10G modules) + two Nexus5548 to replace it.

(4900M Layer 3 and do HSRP,  5548 for 1G and 10G layer 2 connections)

Current 6509 CPU usage is very low. We have around 300 servers.

Could you kindly provide some advices. Appreciate ! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The 5k can do PBR. See the configuration guide section here.

As noted already, the L3 card and appropriate license need to be used to fully avail oneself of the 5K's L3 features.

That said, I prefer to do edge (MPLS WAN or Internet) routing on a dedicated IOS router (i.e. an ISR G2 or ASR). It just give more flexibility and there's none of the minor (and some not so minor) caveats of the various routing protocols supported on NX-OS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can use the 5500 series as your router also.  All you have to do is to purchase the layer-3 doughter card for it.  If you have a pair of 5500, you don't need the 4900 any more.  5500 will do HRSP, VRRP, etc...

HTH

Hi Reza,

Can 5500 support OSPF ? I did some research that 5500 can't support PBR.

I had experience put 4948 in Core and worked fine. That why choose 4900M.

Since I don't have much expeirence in Nexus, don't know if there is any other layer 3 limitation for 5500. And the routing performance compare to 4900 is better or not.

Thanks for reply.

Scott

Hi

In 5500 the base license does not allow you to use more than 256 dynamically learnt routes with OSPF. Full OSPF supports requeries you to buy the enterprise license.

Regards.

Wilson B.

The 5k can do PBR. See the configuration guide section here.

As noted already, the L3 card and appropriate license need to be used to fully avail oneself of the 5K's L3 features.

That said, I prefer to do edge (MPLS WAN or Internet) routing on a dedicated IOS router (i.e. an ISR G2 or ASR). It just give more flexibility and there's none of the minor (and some not so minor) caveats of the various routing protocols supported on NX-OS.

Hi,

I agree with Marvin.  If you are planning to use this router for Internet edge, then I would look at ASR or ISA G2 routers.

And the Nexus can be used for your core.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card