Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Need a little help with dial setup on CME

Answered Question
Oct 7th, 2013
User Badges:

I've got a CME I'm using for testing and I think I need a little help figuring out the proper config to get the system to accept numbers I dial and have those numbers be passed on to an Avaya system (including the leading 9 for ARS in Avaya) via H.323 IP trunks.   I have it working well for internal 5 digit extension calls across the H.323 trunks and I also have it working well for some types of outside calls that gets passed on to the Avaya and then the Avaya dials the call out to the PSTN.   My only real problem is, I can't figure out how to correctly configure CME to examine the digits I'm dialing and only send the digits once I'm finished dialing....not as soon as it sees an initial match.

What's happening is this.  I can dial local numbers in my area as 7 digits or 10 digits.  The phone company doesn't yet force us to dial area code and number for local calls (10 digits).  I can still dial 7 digits.   But...if I put an entry in CME that looks like this....

(by the way, the 192.168.1.1 IP is not the real IP address, that's just an example, but the rest of this entry is what I really have entered in CME)

dial-peer voice 9 voip

description Outside 7 Dig Local Calls Via Avaya

destination-pattern 9.......

session target ipv4:192.168.1.1

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

...Then it will always try to dial out immediately after seeing the first 8 digits I dial (9 plus the 7 digit number I called)...even though I have a speicifc entry in the system that accounts for calls to 9 plus area code 513.  I would have assumed that if I put the specific entry in for 9513....... it would see that and wait to see if I was actually dialing something to match 9513....... instead of 9.......   Understand what I mean?   Because 9513....... is more specific than 9....... but it still tries to send the call out immediately after seeing the first 8 digits I dialed.

dial-peer voice 9513 voip

description Outside 10 Dig Local Calls Via Avaya

destination-pattern 9513.......

no vad

...BUT...here's the interesting thing.  If I trace the 10 digit call in Avaya, I see that the number being presented to the Avaya PBX is only the first 7 digits of the number....not the full 10 digits...BUT I see a few more of the digits I dialed (like the 8th and 9th digits) after the call is already setup and sent to the PSTN.  It's like the CME is trying to send the rest of the 10 digits I dialed, but at that point it's already too late.   It setup the call as a 7 digit call (9 plus 7 digits), not 10 digit like I wanted.

I'm more familiar with how to setup dialing in the Avaya via ARS.  My background is Avaya, not Cisco, so this dial-peer config is a little difficult for me until I understand the reasoning of how it examines the numbers and what I should do to make it wait for me to finish dialing....or to tell the system that what I'm dialing will be a minimum or a certain amount of digits and maximum of a certain amount of digits, like the Avaya does.  I just need some pointers and examples to look at :-)   I think I've almost got it....but I'm just missing something at the moment.

Just so you understand, the call flow should be like this:  Cisco phone registered to CME > CME to Avaya via H.323 trunks > Avaya to PSTN via ISDN PRI trunks connected to Avaya.  I have to be sure I send the 9 to the Avaya also, because 9 triggers ARS in the Avaya. 

Thanks for your help

Correct Answer by Amine Nouasri about 3 years 10 months ago

Here is a good document that explains how dial-peers are matched in the Cisco world:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml#topic7

In your case, it is variable length dial plan you are trying to implenent. To fix it, you need to add a T to force the system to wait for more digits to be entered if there is any.

dial-peer voice 9 voip

destination-pattern 9.......T

no vad

no vad

You can also configure the inter-digits timeout using the command timeouts interdigit under telephony-service.

Please rate helpful answers!

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Amine Nouasri Mon, 10/07/2013 - 11:13
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Here is a good document that explains how dial-peers are matched in the Cisco world:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml#topic7

In your case, it is variable length dial plan you are trying to implenent. To fix it, you need to add a T to force the system to wait for more digits to be entered if there is any.

dial-peer voice 9 voip

destination-pattern 9.......T

no vad

no vad

You can also configure the inter-digits timeout using the command timeouts interdigit under telephony-service.

Please rate helpful answers!

jmeier10510 Mon, 10/07/2013 - 11:24
User Badges:

Great, thanks.  I just added the T and I think that'll do the trick for my purposes.  I made a test call and it worked.  :-) 

Actions

This Discussion