cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

(Updated) Which switch is the better option? Catalyst 6509e 4510e?

NInja Black
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My company is opening its sixth branch (HQ) with around 250 employee capacity. We are planning out the network and trying to decide which switch to get.  The switch should support upto 350 PoE (considering space for growth). Which of the two is better, Catalyst 6509E, or 4510E? I was hoping 4510E would be best considering its features and pricing. Any better switch suggestions are highly appreciated.

Other equipment.

Cisco3925e router. ASA 5515. Dell M1000e blade servers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The switch should support upto 350 PoE (considering space for growth).

You've just completely eliminated the 6500E as a contender for an access switch as Cisco has started EoL all PoE-capable line card.  I am suspecting Cisco is pushing the 6500E back as a core/distro switch function so the 4500R+E can be positioned as an access switch.

Will the site be planning to do wireless?

You've got several choices here:

1.  3650 -- This model will soon be replacing the 3560-series switches, built-in WLC and can support up to 25 APs, stacking support;

2.  3850 -- This model will soon be replacing the 3750-series switches, built-in WLC and can support up to 50 APs, stacking support;

3.  4500R+E with Sup7e -- Popular if you don't want any wireless;

4.  4500R+E with Sup8 -- Basically a Sup7 but with a WLC that can support 100 AP;

5.  6800X/3807X with 6800ia -- It's basically a new 6500 that has a Sup2T supervisor card.  The 6800ia is a 48-port (no 24-port available) with PoE and is a DUMB switch.  All configuration is done on the 6800X/6807X.

6.  2960X

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

I don't know much about these size switches, but I think you have the model names mixed up. 6500 and 4500 are Catalyst series chassis switches.  Nexus switches are like 3000, 5000, 6000 and 7000.  They are considered data center switches to my knowledge and very expensive to use as branch access switches..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9441/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html

-- please remember to rate helpful posts --

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Thanks Brandon. I seem to have got confused with the names. I was looking for 4500 and 6000 switches and for some reason thought they were Nexus.

Thnaks for clarifying.

The switch should support upto 350 PoE (considering space for growth).

You've just completely eliminated the 6500E as a contender for an access switch as Cisco has started EoL all PoE-capable line card.  I am suspecting Cisco is pushing the 6500E back as a core/distro switch function so the 4500R+E can be positioned as an access switch.

Will the site be planning to do wireless?

You've got several choices here:

1.  3650 -- This model will soon be replacing the 3560-series switches, built-in WLC and can support up to 25 APs, stacking support;

2.  3850 -- This model will soon be replacing the 3750-series switches, built-in WLC and can support up to 50 APs, stacking support;

3.  4500R+E with Sup7e -- Popular if you don't want any wireless;

4.  4500R+E with Sup8 -- Basically a Sup7 but with a WLC that can support 100 AP;

5.  6800X/3807X with 6800ia -- It's basically a new 6500 that has a Sup2T supervisor card.  The 6800ia is a 48-port (no 24-port available) with PoE and is a DUMB switch.  All configuration is done on the 6800X/6807X.

6.  2960X

Thanks Leo. Now I have a better picture.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Of the two, the 4510E would probably be your more cost effective choice.

For the number of ports needed, the 4510E might even be more cost effective than a stack of 3xxx switches.

PS:

As you mention having some blade servers, if using a 4510E, you might choose different line cards for user hosts vs. server hosts (saving a few dollars).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card