Views
Helpful
Replies

MC EC and VPC

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

Is multi chassis etherchannel and Vpc same thing in concept ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that is correct.  VPC can also run between Nexus switches to make them logically look like one.  And yes you can connect other none Nexus switches like 2960 3750, etc to Nexus and so that is VPC to Nexus devices. 

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

kind of.  MEC is used with VSS when you configure an access switch to connect to multiple 6500 or 4000 chassis using an Etherchannel.  VPC is used in the Nexus series line when you connect for example a FEX to 2 different 5500 or 6000 series switches.

HTH

Yes

Then Sir why its said that VPC can be run between nexus and other access switches like 2960/3750 ? i thought vpc was something specific to nexus product line

Yes, that is correct.  VPC can also run between Nexus switches to make them logically look like one.  And yes you can connect other none Nexus switches like 2960 3750, etc to Nexus and so that is VPC to Nexus devices. 

HTH

Sir is there any configuration example of it ? i thought VPC is a nexus specific technology

Yes, VPC is specific to Nexus, which means if you connect a device e.g FEX, 3750, 3560, etc to a set of Nexus 5Ks or 6Ks, you would need to configure the Nexus with VPC commands.

Also, Here is good doc to read on VPC design and best practices. At the end, it also has some config examples:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH 

Sir i am confused. You agree that vpc is specific to nexus and then you said we can have other switches connect to it via vpc, how is that possible ?

Also, look at this config guide for some more examples on how to configure VPC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: