2 Native VLANs on Interface?

Unanswered Question
Oct 17th, 2013
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hello,

Just a little background. We have are using a 2911 router for a new office install. We are using 1 interface for our broadband backup cirucit, 1 interface for our LAN/VLANs and 1 interface for our primary WAN cirucit.

The problem is that with our new VOIP system we need to put our agency traffic in one VRF and our VOIP traffic in another VRF. These connections both will have a connection to same WAN subnet with different IP addresses.

Seeing that we only have 1 port left on the router for the WAN we have had to use one of our LAN switches to break up the WAN handoff into 2 ports. Our VOIP WAN VRF connection goes to GI0/1 and our agency WAN VRF is tagged on our LAN interface (GI0/0) which isnt really efficient at all to do a router on a stick configuration for this.

My manager had the idea that we could do something like this on our WAN router port.

interface GigabitEthernet 0/1

IP address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

interface GigabitEthernet 0/1.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

ip vrf forwarding TEST

IP address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0

I know this isn't a typical setup as I have never tried to do this before. The only thing that seems to be working tis the GI 0/0.1 interface. I just wanted to know if someone had an explanation as to what happens to the physical interface with you turn on trunking and setup a native VLAN on a sub interface.

Thanks, Elton

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion