Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

802.1x PEAP Windows 2008 NPS Certificate

Unanswered Question
Oct 22nd, 2013
User Badges:

I've setup a centrally switched SSID on a 5508 WLC utilising 802.1x PEAP authentication to a pair of Windows 2008 NPS which authenticate the PEAP username and password to our Active Directory domain.

Currently the Windows 2008 NPS servers are utilsing a server certificate issued from our internal Certificate Authority with the certificate being presented to the device upon connection depending upon which server the WLC sends the authentication too. The servers names on the internally issued certificate are in the form of:

Server01.domain.local

Server02.domain.local

Due to these certificates being internally issued certificates when some devices specifically Apple iPad and iPhones connect to the SSID initally they are prompted to accept the certificate but it is listed as not verified as its issued by an internal domain CA and not an external root certificate authority.

I am going to be obtaining an external root CA issued certificate for both servers to replace the internally issued certifcates however I notice using the internal certificate if I connect a device to the SSID and accept the certificate of server with certificate name server01.domain.local and then if disable the ability for clients to connect to server01 the WLC will automatically forward the authentication connection to the next server on the list however as this server is presenting a different certificate "server02.domain.local" devices which are conducting certificate validation will fail to connect as the certificate does not match the previously accept certificate.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Will adding say server02.domain.local as an additional name to the certificate for server01.domain.local resolve this issue?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network