Views
Helpful
Replies

failover network topology

aldar bukhaev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone!

We want to upgrade our server network, make it more failover. We have two 3750 switch and several servers.

failover network.jpg

So, what are the best practices failover network?

I watched into direction of HSRP and LACP.

1st case:

switches use master/standby HSRP

servers use active/standby NIC teaming(binding)

2nd case:

switches are connected by stack into one big switch and use etherchannel LACP for port binding

servers use active/active NIC teaming(binding)

In first case we have only L2 failover. It protects only if one switch down.

In the second case we've got port, NIC, cable, switch failoiver, and one more free switch port (using stack instead of HSRP port).But will it properly work? I didn't find proper articles about this topology. And is there any other way?

Dear experts, please point me to the right way.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

first of all have you checked cisco nexus switches that are designed for data center networking ?

where you can have either or both active/active active/standby NIC teaming without any dependencies on L2 STP

in addtion you can have much more improved capabilities and features for a DC network

if you only want to consider the 3750 I would suggest you to go with the second option using Stack and you can use both types of NIC teaming and no need for STP or HSRP simple and redaundant

hope this help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

first of all have you checked cisco nexus switches that are designed for data center networking ?

where you can have either or both active/active active/standby NIC teaming without any dependencies on L2 STP

in addtion you can have much more improved capabilities and features for a DC network

if you only want to consider the 3750 I would suggest you to go with the second option using Stack and you can use both types of NIC teaming and no need for STP or HSRP simple and redaundant

hope this help

Thanks for reply.

Our brass already bought 3750, so we are limited in choice. Moreover, calling our server room as data center is exagerration.

If second option is usable, would you suggest about potential threats to troubleshoot them in testing environment. Such as proper STP configuration.

No need for STP, leave enabled only

when you put multiple switches in a stack they will act as one switch so all what you need is to match the ports configurations with servers NIC

if its port channel LACP or just normal access port

hope this help

Ji-Won Park
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aldar,

The best redundancy you can get is to use stack + cross stack etherchannel technology.

You can stack those two 3750 and bundle those two ports from server side and from the switch side in LACP.

HTH

JP