cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converged access question

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

I want to use the Cisco 3850 switches to manage my AP's at our remote locations.  Most of the remote locations will use less then 50 AP's so I would only need one MC at each location.  There will be a few locations that will have about 75 AP's each.  So I am better off using a different controller or using 2 3850's setup as MC each?

Currently I have two 5508's in our core in a centralized configuration and plan to move then into the DMZ to be anchor controllers.  I have two data centers each with an internet connection in a disaster recovery configuration.  So one controller will be in each location.  I thought that maybe I could but another controller at put that in the data center as an MC but was not sure if that would be best or stick with the MC's at the remote sites instead.

Thank you for the input.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

the current release for the 3850 is 3.3, and it does not support the 3700 series of AP, so the 3850 would not be able to terminate the CAPWAP tunnel

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/release_notes/OL_30562_01.html#wp149415

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Question is whether or not you want to use 802.11ac.

I do plan on ordering the new 3700 AP and offer 802.11ac as an option.

If that is the case, then your 3650 and/or 3850 should be configured as MA.  You'll need a separate WLC, like the 5508 or WiSM2, to be the MC.

Will the 3850 not support the MC function when it comes to 802.11ac?

the current release for the 3850 is 3.3, and it does not support the 3700 series of AP, so the 3850 would not be able to terminate the CAPWAP tunnel

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/release_notes/OL_30562_01.html#wp149415

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thank you for the information.  Is there any word on when they will be able to?  I guess as of right now it's not a big deal since the 3700 is not even shipping yet.

Seth

According to the release notes the 3850 is listed as a valid controller for the 3700 AP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps13367/data_sheet_c78-729421.html

3700 is scheduled to start shipping out by mid-December 2013 (I know because we've ordered some).  So I guess between November 2013 and December 2013 something should be coming out to support the 3700. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card