Which product for 100x100 meters WLAN?

Unanswered Question
Oct 27th, 2013
User Badges:

Hello. I am redirected to Cisco community and am a newbie of Wireless Network Systems.

I need to set up a Wireless LAN for school i'm working for. I made a lot of research but still couldn't decide

on the right product i need.

Coverage needed is 8.000 square meters. It is 80x100 actually.Can you suggest me which products (maybe WAPs, antennes, Wifi Extenders etc..)

i need?

Edit : Information was not sufficient, sorry.

Goal : Setting up a webserver and sharing e-book, movie, video etc.

Usage : Have 600 clients, but avarage usage is 300 simultaneous connections during day

Budget : $6500

I don't know what a site survey is, but i'm sure that the walls are thick and buildings have four stories.

place.png

This is a matter of life and death for me. Thanks in advance

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
fb_webuser Sun, 10/27/2013 - 08:37
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hi. You could use a cisco 2600I series WAP to provide wireless connectivity to the users. Also this AP will provide coverage upto 250 square meters which is more than sufficient than your current requirement. Also please mention a rough number of users who will access this AP simultaneously. If it is more than 12 users then go for another AP same model opearting in a different channel. MY suggestion would be to go for wireless site survey if you have budget. Also see if the switch port has a copper port free less than 90m from AP. COnfigure it as a trunk port. Set up a SSID and allow 802.1x authentication mode if you want security. Hope i answered your query

---

Posted by WebUser Shalini Menon from Cisco Support Community App

Leo Laohoo Sun, 10/27/2013 - 13:43
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Definitely you need a site survey on this one.   Why do you need a site survey?  Because site survey can accurately determine where to put your AP and how many APs you need.

As to which model of AP will depend on your budget.

I would start with the 2600 if I had basic budget.  If I have more, then I'd consider the 3700 (same price as the 3600 so no-brainer there).  Due to the number of APs you will be having, I would recommend you get a wireless LAN controller, such as the 5508.

You did not specify the requirements for indoors and outdoors wireless? 

Describe your LAN?

Leo Laohoo Mon, 10/28/2013 - 00:03
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

y do we need a WLC at a school set up?

Why wouldn't you?

I have a school and I've got a WLC for it.

CptMarine Mon, 10/28/2013 - 07:04
User Badges:

Edit : Information was not sufficient, sorry.

Goal : Setting up a webserver and sharing e-book, movie, video etc.

Usage : Have 600 clients, but avarage usage is 300 simultaneous connections during day

I don't know what a site survey is, but i'm sure that the walls are thick and buildings have four stories.

devils_advocate Mon, 10/28/2013 - 10:04
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Small Business, November 2015

I agree with Leo in that a site survey is needed for this sort of setup.

Guessing how many AP's you need and where you need to place them could easily result in poor performance and coverage.

First off, you need to get hold of a company who will be able to survey the site and advise how many access points you need based upon what sort of coverage you require. If you want 100% coverage everywhere that will likely mean more access points which means more expense etc etc. You also need to ensure you access points are optimally placed and have a nearby LAN connection which means possibly running new cables from nearby cabinets or comms rooms etc.

Do you have PoE switches already or will the AP's be locally powered?

Do the PoE switches have big enough power supplied to handle the amount of AP's you are going to use?

Once you start to get above 10-15 access points, you really need a controller because this allows each AP to be centrally managed from one GUI instead of making changes on every single one.

You can see already that this is not going to be as straight foreward as it seems....

Leo Laohoo Mon, 10/28/2013 - 16:34
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

don't know what a site survey is

Wireless Site Survey FAQ

I have no idea what country you are in, however, in certain countries Cisco gives large discounts to Educational institution.

For 10 APs, I'd start with 2600i (don't even bother to think about getting the 1600) and for WLC I'd go for the 2504 with 15 licenses.  You can get a 2504 with 5 licenses plus another "add on" license of another 5 but this means that if you suddenly require more APs it'll take some time before you can get more "add on" license.

Since there are three buildings and 10 stories in total, i can put one AP in each story. Will that be enough? There are classrooms and corridors, you know.

I've been in your shoes before.  I had a budget of amount of APs for >100 schools.  So the first thing we did was talk to the school and tell them to rate which areas they DESPERATELY want to have wireless.  We did this right and the two years later, we had more budget allocated to add more APs. 

EvaldasOu Mon, 10/28/2013 - 10:32
User Badges:

300 users?

Mhm... you will need atleast 10 AP's to serve such amount of users.

10 APs x 500$ = 5000$ .

Yeah . For 10 APs, you need a controller.... vWLC for 10 APs = 1500$~

No money for the survey.

Yahya Jaber Mon, 10/28/2013 - 11:23
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi,

to start correctly, i would suggest contacting a Cisco reseller in your area http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do then explain to him your issue and he will be able to help you with that.

also, i would appreciate if you can look at the variety of wireless products Cisco has http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/shop/index.html

and if you are intrested you can check Meraki http://meraki.cisco.com/

Ferdinand Guasque Mon, 10/28/2013 - 13:02
User Badges:

Hi if you're looking fo a Cisco partner or have any further questions you can send me a private message so i can help you to set up an onsite assestment.

CptMarine Mon, 10/28/2013 - 15:21
User Badges:

As far as i make out, Aironet 2600 Series will be the right option for this scenario. Each AP costs $700 and i can afford 10 of them +  WLC which costs $1500. But i doubt this system will be enough because the plan is like this :

Since there are three buildings and 10 stories in total, i can put one AP in each story. Will that be enough? There are classrooms and corridors, you know.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content