tug-2 2 e1 1 unframed

tug-2 2 e1 2 unframed

interface Serial0/4/0.1/1/1/3:0

bandwidth 2048

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

frame-relay intf-type dci

I'm running IOS-XE 03.09.01a.S (15.3(2)S1a).

When I introduce the "encapsulation frame-relay" command, ASR903 is reloaded.

I've been looking for information regarding this problem but I haven't found anything about bugs.

By other hand, I've seen one limitation for optical interfaces in ASR903 on release 3.9.x:

Limitations and Restrictions

The following limitations and restrictions apply when configuring optical interface modules on the Cisco ASR 903 Router:

SDH framing mode is supported; SONET framing is supported beginning in Release 3.8.

HDLC, PPP, and MLPPP encapsulation are supported. In POS mode, HDLC and PPP are supported.

Frame Relay and SMDS encapsulation are not supported.

However, IOS is showing this encapsulation in order to use it:

MPLS-PE-AME-01(config-if)#encapsulation ?

frame-relay  Frame Relay networks

hdlc         Serial HDLC synchronous

ppp          Point-to-Point protocol

smds         Switched Megabit Data Service (SMDS)

Now, I'm doubt whether this is a bug or a limitation.

Best regards,

Alfonso Moneo

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

I could find nothing to indicate that frame relay encapsulation is supported on this module:

"The Cisco ASR 900 multiservice interface modules are designed to help customers connect to legacy networks and transition to packet networks. The multiservice interface modules support connections to Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), Multilink PPP, ATM, Inverse Multiplexing over ATM (IMA) and High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC) links.  "

vmiller, thanks a lot for your response. I think it's simply a bug. IOS-XE 03.10 don't already support encapsulation frame-relay command.

Best Regards,

Alfonso Moneo

feene1
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any plans to support frame-relay on the ASR900s?  Not sure I have run into a Cisco router not supporting frame relay.

I have a need to support multiple services over a legacy T1 connection.

sanjees4
Level 1
Level 1

we are using A900-IMA4OS for the first time .Can anyone tell me the operation command ( to check number of interface /port status /optical power / KLM status/ how to give loop ) or is there any document on the same please share link .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card