cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to prepend a dial string to 4 digits enter on a Cisco phone

ronald.nutter
Level 1
Level 1

My boss has requested that I create a feature set button to take a 4 digit number (i.e. extension) and prepend the 9, areacode and exchange for who he is calling.  Let me put that in context, We deal a lot with another company who is local to us.  He gets a lot of mesages that says for him to call them back at an extension of 4 digits.  Is there a way that I can do this ?

Ron

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ronaldo,

Since your Boss is interested with the button option. I would suggest you to create a Seperate Partition and CSS for this kind of SETUP.

Say like, your extension no is 2234 then create a partition as Prefix_pt and CSS as Prefix_css and create a TP with XXXX to translate to "9-AREA CODE-LAST4 Digits"

Assign that prefix_pt to prefix_css and configure the TP with the pt as prefix_pt.

Configure the phone's second line with the same ext 2234 and the partition as prefixphone_pt with the CSS as prefix_css so that whenever any 4 digits is been dialled, it will automatically hit the TP XXXX and translated and routed as desired.

Mohsin.

Please rate if it helps..

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

jeremiah88
Level 4
Level 4

You can do this with either translation patterns or application dial rules. Watch out that the extension ranges (last four of their DIDs) do not overlap with your internal dial plan.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

This is why I think my boss was wanting to use a "feature key" or what I would in other situations think of as a Macro, so that I would have to worry about an overlap with the extension numbers that we were assigned by the SIP Provider.

Being new to Call Manager, I will look at both of the options you have suggested.

Ron

I see...  So...trying to think outside the box here, one thing you can do is use the "*" key...  So, configure a translation pattern, and if the last four digits of the numebr range starts with "4" for example, you can configure a translation pattern like "*.4XXX"  ....

Then use a "predot" discard as well as the "prefix" digits field to prefix, for example, "9404555", so for example, if "*4235" was dialed, it would turn it into "94045554235"...As long as the CSS you use has PSTN access, boom you are done.

I think we were both going down the same path.  I came up with a translation pattern that looks like 8.XXXX.  When you press * and the 4 digits, it drops the 8, prepends the area code and exchange and places the call.

My boss liked that but wants a button on the screen.  Try to do either a speed or abbreviated dial as an option using the translation pattern I had created.  So far, that isnt working.

Ron

so he wants a speed dial with for instance *4235 on it that would translate it into 94045554235 like jeremiah suggested?

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Ronaldo,

Since your Boss is interested with the button option. I would suggest you to create a Seperate Partition and CSS for this kind of SETUP.

Say like, your extension no is 2234 then create a partition as Prefix_pt and CSS as Prefix_css and create a TP with XXXX to translate to "9-AREA CODE-LAST4 Digits"

Assign that prefix_pt to prefix_css and configure the TP with the pt as prefix_pt.

Configure the phone's second line with the same ext 2234 and the partition as prefixphone_pt with the CSS as prefix_css so that whenever any 4 digits is been dialled, it will automatically hit the TP XXXX and translated and routed as desired.

Mohsin.

Please rate if it helps..

Many thanks for this.  I have a lot to learn about call manager and this is one step further down the road.

Had to do a little bit of tweaking but it is working as close as I think I get can it to the way my boss was wanting it to.

Ron

Hi Ronaldo,

I'm glad that it helped you.. :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Translation patterns are definitely the quickest way to achieve this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: