Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Nexus 3048 vs Catalyst 4948E for ToR switching

Unanswered Question
Oct 29th, 2013
User Badges:

Hello,

I am torn between the 4948E and the Nexus 3048 for top of rack switching.  Both have there pros and cons.  This environment will include uplinks to VM servers, file servers, LDAP servers and some database / web servers. 

Can someone help with a recommendation.  I like the ultra low latency of the 3048 but the larger buffers may come in handy with bursty traffic.

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Tue, 10/29/2013 - 13:48
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

4948E, when it comes to high-speed servers, is no match to what the Nexus family of switches can offer.

glen.grant Tue, 10/29/2013 - 16:13
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

If you go nexus you have to account for learning all the differences of NX-OS .  It is somewhat different than IOS  specially if you are going get into vpc's .

Jeremy Gibbs Tue, 10/29/2013 - 16:31
User Badges:

Well, I am not worried about the config.  I just want the best performing switch for the $.  Both are similar in cost.  The 4948 is a bit more than the nexus though, but not by much.

Leo - Are you saying go with nexus or catalyst?

Thanks

Leo Laohoo Tue, 10/29/2013 - 17:36
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Leo - Are you saying go with nexus or catalyst?

If you are after a significant amount of NICs with high-speed, low latency and hitless, then Nexus is the way to go.

Actions

This Discussion