cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

jabber for windows IM only desktop share

Paul Austin
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Folks, I cannot find a definitive answer to this BUT can you do a desktop share when jabber is IM only mode? CUCM 8.6, CUP 8.6, JFW 9.2.6. I have loaded the cop file to add the BCFC feature and have enabled it in a new sip profile and on each CSF device.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

At least the RNs suggest you *might* be able to:

Desktop Share Icon Becomes Disabled

The Share your desktop icon becomes disabled in the Conversations window for users after they join a group chat.

The following is an example scenario of this issue:

1. User A sends an instant message to user B. The Share your desktop icon is enabled in the Conversations window for both user A and user B.
  2. User A initiates a group chat with user B and user C. The Share your desktop icon becomes disabled in the Conversations window for all users.
  3. User A sends an instant message to user B. The Share your desktop icon becomes disabled in the Conversations window for both users.

This issue is resolved in a future version with CSCui22283.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_2_5/JABW_BK_CAAD3F25_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-release-notes_chapter_01.html

Video Desktop Sharing

Note

Video desktop sharing refers to desktop sharing functionality on CSF devices on Cisco Unified Communications Manager that are BFCP-enabled.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_1_3/JABW_BK_C3749E76_00_cisco-jabber-windows-release-notes_chapter_01.html

But since the very beginning this required softphone mode, and the above does mention this relies on the CSF device capabilities from CUCM, my guess is that if there's no CSF device with BFCP, then no, you cannot share on IM only mode.

But, then I'm not following, if you're using IM only mode... why do you have a CSF device on CUCM???

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks but i will be having a mixed environment of CSF and IM only users. I was just going through the "motions" of configuring users. I'll reboot the cucm servers again to see if the updated cop file helps.

Thanks

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

With jabber IM only you cannot do desktop sharing. Desktop sharing runs over the top of a video call, hence you need a CSF device as well.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks minkdennsi - just they type of answer I like - straight forward.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: