Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

controller conflict

Answered Question
Oct 30th, 2013
User Badges:

Hi,

We have a subsidary network which has a wireless controller in use currently with many ap's attached to it.

The subsidary is planning to install another wireless controller in the same location as above. The problem is they want to use the same controller hostname as the existing one , although the ip address would be different.

I am not certain what effect this will have as both old & new controller will connect to the single core switch that they have.

How will this impact the users & what will happen to the new AP's that will be added to the new controller via the core switch.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 3 years 9 months ago

Hostname will not cause an issue because you have two different management IP addresses.  It'll just be the poor engineer to determine which WLC he/she is logged into.

Overall Rating: 5 (5 ratings)
Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Wed, 10/30/2013 - 14:22
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hostname will not cause an issue because you have two different management IP addresses.  It'll just be the poor engineer to determine which WLC he/she is logged into.

Abha Jha Wed, 10/30/2013 - 21:00
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

You may have the same hostname on different controller in same subnet .. no problem..

hostname is not really necessary for the AP to join the WLC.. It will be just necessary to
have the IP address default gateway and controller IP address configured to have the AP
registered on the WLC.

Rasika Nayanajith Thu, 10/31/2013 - 00:14
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Keep in mind if you want  to configure High Availability for APs it will not allow you to configure same WLC name as primary, secondary or tertiary.

Primary, Secondary & Tertiary controller should have unique names when configuring this.

So better to advise them not to use same hostname for multiple controllers.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

suthomas1 Sat, 11/02/2013 - 04:40
User Badges:

Thanks.

So , if we have two controllers in the same network with different ip address, how will the AP's register to the network & which controller will take precedence?

Rasika Nayanajith Sat, 11/02/2013 - 12:32
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Hi

You can read below "AP Failover" & "AP Registration" posts to get an idea how this work.

1. http://mrncciew.com/2013/04/07/ap-failover/

2. http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/17/ap-registration/

As I stated early, you cannot configure Primary,Secondary & Tertiary (High Availability feature) for a AP  if your controllers have same name. So you will be stuck if you want to nominate both primary & secondary controller for your APs in this environment (assume both controllers having same name).

Without this feature AP can go for either controller & can register (but you do not have any control which ap goes to where). In the AP registration WLC name does not play any role(but in failover it will), so as longs as AP learn a WLC IP it can send a join requests & depends on who is responding, AP will go and register to that WLC.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

suthomas1 Sun, 11/03/2013 - 01:06
User Badges:

Thanks Scott & everyone for the inputs.

Yes, i would tell them the only way out is to change the suffix.

Thanks again!

Scott Fella Sat, 11/02/2013 - 16:02
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

I've been sort of following this and just can't understand why they can't be convinced to rename the other WLC or have different names maybe with 01 and 02 as the suffix. Everyone has put in their opinions and facts, but if you plan on using Prime or a monitoring tool, that's where you might also run into issues. I'm guessing DNS isn't used either on the wlc's? I would just push for different hostnames as I don't think your switches have the same hostnames.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Actions

This Discussion