cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

COBRAS Export for Connection

bkhanal1971
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to export message from Unity Conn 8.6 to a local disk but everytime I get the following errors. It happens only when I select the option to export the messages. I can export all other things such as subscribers, call handlers etc. I am  using administrator account (no voicmail box). Does anybody has solution to this problem?

[Thread 001], [13/10/31 08:43:29], Checking to see if WAV file download functionality works, this may take a moment...

[Thread 001], [13/10/31 08:43:29], Checking IMAP connectivity capability before starting export.

[Thread 001], [13/10/31 08:44:29], (error) Failed establishing IMAP connection for message backup. Client error=Failed to attach to Connection server on port 7993 for IMAP login in AttachViaImap. Client error=ChilkatLog:

Connect_Imap:

DllDate: Aug 5 2012

UnlockPrefix: LNDBRGIMAPMAILQ

Username: DCA033501:xxxxxxx

Architecture: Little Endian; 32-bit

Language: .NET 4.0

VerboseLogging: 0

hostname: 10.x.x.x

port: 7993

ConnectTimeoutMs_1: 60000

calling ConnectSocket2

IPV6 enabled connect with NO heartbeat.

This is an IPV4 numeric address...

AddrInfoList:

AddrInfo:

ai_flags: 4

ai_family: 2

ai_socktype: 1

ai_protocol: 0

ai_addrlen: 16

ai_canonname: (NULL)

--AddrInfo

--AddrInfoList

Connect using IPV4.

ipAddress1: 10.x.x.x

timeout waiting for connect to complete

numSec: 0

numMicroSec: 766000

HostOrIpAddress: 10.x.x.x

SocketHandle: 0xa7c

sockError: 10022

Connect function failed..

SocketError: WSAEINVAL An invalid argument was supplied.

failReason: 7

connect failed.

--Connect_Imap

--ChilkatLog

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

oh, yes this could be the case - secure MIME is not possible with unrestricted and COBRAS must attach using SSH (requried for "super user access" to messages).

you can use the /UseCUMI cli flag to force COBRAS to get messages using the HTTP based CUMI interface instead - it's much slower but will work with unrestricted versions.

View solution in original post

COBRAS Import is designed to avoid getting in the way of any external link (AD, UM, Fax, SMS, etc...) - none of those links are restored or touched.

During the import wizard it will see that user's are configured with UM agreements (presumably) and you will be asked to tell it which UM agreement on the target system to use when restoring.  So you setup your UM link to an Exchange server, lets say - you need to set this up before you do the import for this reason.  If  COBRAS sees no UM links it will not let you restore because it needs you to tell it which existing UM link on the server to use as a replacement for the one's users have setup in the backup.

this is done for ALL external references.  Same deal if you had SMS configured for instance... or a fax integration or the phone system setup - it "remaps" what the user was assigned to in the backup to one already configured on the target.

While this means more work for the admin when running the wizard (it's a very large wizard) it allows for extremely powerful flexibility in merging backups from multiple systems onto one, migrating configurations etc... this "loose coupling" of all external service links provides that capability.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

most often this means there is something blocking the IMAP port on the client (AV package) or a firewall between you and the server or the like.  Normally you'd check from the server side to see if the IMAP connection request is even coming through and then if there's an issue with the request from there (i.e. a service is not running on the CxN server).

the 10022 error is a general error that is issued when you call an "open" on a socket that is not listening/responding so it can mean a bunch of different things - but generally from the client side there's not much you can do if the connection to the server is not being established (i.e. figuring out what is blocking the connection is difficult to discern from the client side).

Thank you Lindborg. Could it be also be the case because I am using unrestricted version of Unity Conn?

oh, yes this could be the case - secure MIME is not possible with unrestricted and COBRAS must attach using SSH (requried for "super user access" to messages).

you can use the /UseCUMI cli flag to force COBRAS to get messages using the HTTP based CUMI interface instead - it's much slower but will work with unrestricted versions.

Perfect answer...thank you...at least Cobras seems to be doing something using /UseCUCI cli flag. How about the restore? Would it be straightforward process? FYI, I will be installing the unrestricted version of Unity Conn.

Restore drops messages into the SMTP pickup folder which will work the same as any COBRAS restore - this works the same for restricted and unrestricted - you just have to make sure you adjust the SMTP server settings to allow anonymous connection as per the COBRAS help file and you should be good.

It's been a while since I've tested against unrestricted installs (they are relatively rare) but restore should be ok there.  you might do a quick restore test against your current install (just restore a single user into a new account or the like) to make sure it's allowed.

Great! I will follow your direction. Thank you so much.

Before touching the production system, just wanted to get some expert advise on the configurations required before and after COBRAS restore, both in connection and ucm servers. As stated in my initial post, I will be installing a new Unity Conn server to join a different connection cluster and restoing the message and other configurations from a different cluster. Also I want to know if the restore will break AD sync agreements. Thank you.

COBRAS Import is designed to avoid getting in the way of any external link (AD, UM, Fax, SMS, etc...) - none of those links are restored or touched.

During the import wizard it will see that user's are configured with UM agreements (presumably) and you will be asked to tell it which UM agreement on the target system to use when restoring.  So you setup your UM link to an Exchange server, lets say - you need to set this up before you do the import for this reason.  If  COBRAS sees no UM links it will not let you restore because it needs you to tell it which existing UM link on the server to use as a replacement for the one's users have setup in the backup.

this is done for ALL external references.  Same deal if you had SMS configured for instance... or a fax integration or the phone system setup - it "remaps" what the user was assigned to in the backup to one already configured on the target.

While this means more work for the admin when running the wizard (it's a very large wizard) it allows for extremely powerful flexibility in merging backups from multiple systems onto one, migrating configurations etc... this "loose coupling" of all external service links provides that capability.

Great info. That means, in my case, I will have to setup AD sync agreement, sync the users and only after that use COBRAS import right? We don't use anything other than AD as external link.

well, the phone system integration is also considered external here so you'll want to set that up ahead of time as well as the AD link but yes, that's correct.

I attempted to use the /UseCUMI CLI Switch with COBRAS Export for Connection 7.1.5 Unrestricted but received an error stating that the system was not version 8.5. This leads me to believe that it would only work on 8.5 and higher, but I cannot find this documented anywhere.  TAC said they would not support the use of CUMI, and could not answer my question.  

Are there version requirements for the /UseCUMI documented anywhere?  If this is not supported on version 7.1.5 is there any other way to extract the voice messages?

yes - in the updated COBRAS build 51 which is still in testing (COBRAS takes a LOT of testing when releasing new versions) the help file was expanded to include a note that 8.5 and later is required - the error output there is not lying, it really does require that version.

CUMI first appeared in late 7.1(x) builds but did not support the "proxy" log in role so an admin account (being used by COBRAS) can get to messages for all users cleanly until 8.5. 

Thanks for the clarification. Is there any method to move Voice Messages from 7.1.5 Unrestricted to 9.X Restricted?

I'm afraid not - they'll need to upgrade to 8.5 or later first if they want to include messages in their COBRAS exports.  DRS does not allow "cross install type" restores either (for any version) as I'm sure you already discovered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: