cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can switch be a NTP client?

harris_732
Level 1
Level 1

Can we configure switch as a NTP client? I cannot run the command "ntp server <ip address>" on my Cisco 2960.

9 Replies 9

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

According to the feature navigator there should be support for it. Which version and license are you running?

However I can't find the command in the command reference. That's strange.

I did find it in an older configuration guide though http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swadmin.html#wp1053923

Maybe something changed in newer versions. Is ther nothing available if you do ntp questionmark

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

12.2(55)SE - Administering the Switch: Configuring NTP

With 12.2(58)SE they introduced NTP version 4 and changed that part of the configuration guide but I remember we had c2960 running that IOS version and they still supported the command. And I'm pretty sure it is supported as well in older IOS releases.

HTH

Rolf

no. nothing comes up on ntp ?

no. nothing comes up on ntp ?

Please forgive me the question but you tried this in global configuration mode, right?

In contrast to the "clock set" command, NTP is part of the switch configuration.

Yes, I did it in global config mode

Hm, and your privilege level is 15 (show privilege)?

Or maybe there is a TACAC+ server which limits the commands you're allowed use?

And could you also please answer Daniel's question regarding IOS version and licence?

well.. I am a naive and I am preparing for the CCNA. I am using a Packet Tracer v6.0.1.

OK, so that's obviously a limitation on PT.

PT seems to support NTP on the routers and on the c3560's but not (yet) on the c2960's - maybe it will in a future version.

You always have to keep in mind that PT is a just simulation and it has some limitations. But if you don't have access to real equipment, it's certainly better than nothing.

On a real c2960, you could enable NTP for sure.

Regards

Rolf

P.S.: CSC-contributors normally won't expect that you're using PT, so please mention that in your postings!

hmm ok. Yes PT supports NTP on routers but not on switches. I will mention the use of PT in future. Thanks alot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card