cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure 3G wireless as a backup line with SF300 ??

Fida jlassi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We  have an existing GPRS modems to tranfer data between 2 different sites,  This connection is a little bit slow at no more than about 114kbps, the  idea is to add a 3G modem, so the solution will be based on a dual communication lines which are the 3G network and GPRS network.

The  GPRS line will be the primary and the 3G will be secondary, This  redundancy will offer a high level of communication availability between  both sites.

We have a cisco SF300, and I need to know if it is possible to configure the failover like described above with this switch and how? which commands can I use to do this work?

any information will be helpful for me, thanks

16 Replies 16

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Fida, the GRPS modem needs a USB port (?) which the switch does not have. There is not a command to configure such in the switch.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Even if both connections have ethernet connectivity I don't think the SG300 can do this.  Catalyst probably could with IP SLA.  Many SMB firewalls can load balance multiple connections.  Cisco Meraki MX60 can load balance two ethernet connections and a USB modem connection for failover.

-- please remember to rate helpful posts --

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your answers.

I did the following commands:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 track 100

When I did show ip route

The first interface is marked "active" and the second one is "Backup", but with SF300 switch don't need the ip route, when making the gateway of the host the ip address of the interface the routing will be done automatically and the traffic will passthrough the two interfaces in the same time.

How can really make one interface active and the other backup interface inactive ???

Please help it's an urgent matter

Regards,

Jlassi Fida

Sorry the config is like bellow:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 metric 200

Experts can you help me with this

Hi Fida, the switch does not support VRRP or IP SLA or any kind of fail over protocols. You can have redundant links but that is contingent on a physical wire issue directly connected to the SX300.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Tom.

How can I configure the redundancy related to the physical wire issue with the SF300?

and which cisco model (router or switch) did you suggest that support the IP SLA or VRRP to get the total redundancy?

Thanks for your help .

NB: the GPRS and the 3G modems/routers are from phoenix and are already installed by the customer, our scope of supply will be only the configuration of the router/switch marked in red in the following architecture:

Can anyone answer to my question??

Fida, I do not think you can accomplish this with what you have.  You either need a real Cisco switch that runs IOS i.e. Catalyst or use load balancing firewall/router like Meraki MX60, etc.

Hi,

Is it possible to use the RV042 instead of the SF300 switch in this case and according to the architecture that I posted above, to do the WAN balancing (the WAN balancing will be done according to the Bandwidth).

Regards,

Jalssi Fida

Hi,

Can anyone answer the question above, Thanks.

Regards,

jlassi Fida

Hi Fida, the RV042 does have dual-wan simultaneous connectivity and failover capability. So based on your diagram yes, you can make the desired connection the active and the second connection a standby (failover). Bear in mind, that means the primary works while the secondary does not until a failure event.

I do not believe you're looking to load balance those connections but it is also possible.

-Tom

Hi,

I contact the Cisco agent in our country and I found that the RV042 was not available in stores, did you have another cisco reference to do the same work.

Regards,

Jlassi Fida

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X