Views
Helpful
Replies

Access point connection to WLC

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I wanted to know that in Cisco wireless or in general, is it possible to connect lightweigt access point with controller without any wired connection ? or a ethernet connection between an AP and WLC is mandatory ???

15 Replies 15

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

a wired connection is mandatory because the controller has got no wireless card.

It is the distribution service point for wireless to wired ethernet.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Sir, this was my guess but i think it should be mentioned in some faq or document. Or is it so simple that it wasnt even mentioned anywhere. :-( i am again depressed why i didnt got it in the first place

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
or a ethernet connection between an AP and WLC is mandatory ???

Jonn,

You need an ethernet switch to connect an AP to the network and the WLC to the network.

If you want to "directly connect" an AP to the WLC, this is in form of the 2504 but you must understand that this setup is not recommended and not supported by Cisco TAC.

Sorry Sir, are you saying that WLC supports WLAN itself ? i also remember reading that we can manage WLC via wireless, but above member said that WLC doesnt support wireless.

The 2504 Wireless LAN Controller comes with some PoE RJ45 ports meaning you can patch your Access Points straight into them, without the need to go through a switch. This approach is a little pointless if you already have a PoE switch or you need more than a few access points.

Management via wireless (I believe), allows you to access the GUI of the Wireless LAN Controller whilst you are connected to one of the SSID's on that same controller.

But Sir the question remains, i think adding wireless functionality to WLC wont be that difficult. Is there some specific reason that AP needs to be connected via wired in order to be controlled ?

Is there some specific reason that AP needs to be connected via wired in order to be controlled ?

Jonn,

I think you are getting confused with the 3650/3850 line of switches.

These switches have WLC built-in.  So the APs can be directly connected to the WLC. 

Sir i am new to this so thats why i am getting confused. Actually all the documents i have read so far, have mentioned wired connection between AP and WLC. I want to know is this mandatory in the case of 5508 WLC. As above member said, is it correct that WLC cant connect to APs over wireless because they dont have wireless card ?

Sir just to add, i am asking about APs directly connecting to WLC not via wired but wireless connection.

Sir i will clarify with a scenario.

Lets say i have a room where i have installed LAP. Now, in order to connect this LAP to WLC, i need some sort of connection back to WLC. I want to know is it possible that this connection is completely wireless ?

Hi Jonn

No its not possible. The WLC is a controller for the Access Points, it has no 'Wireless' card built into it.

Access Points need to have a physical ethernet cable which plug into the LAN. They use this to communicate with the WLC, which is also plugged into the LAN.

Sir, i tried to look up this fact in configuration guides etc but couldnt find it. Can you refer me any document on this ?

Hi,

look at cisco WLC datasheets and you'll find no wireless NIC enumerated

Regards

Alain

Sir, why is that so ? i mean is it only Cisco or there is some technology issue that WLC dont have wireless support ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: