Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Setting up PVLan in a Multi-Switch Environment

Unanswered Question
Nov 13th, 2013
User Badges:

Currently have an environment that consists of a 3560 acting as my L3 device that uplinks to a 5510.  Downstream of that have 3 3560's that are currently access.  Off of one of those downstream 3560 is an esx environment that is a lab.  Trying to implement PVLans and been doing some reading on the subject and the configuration of the esx switch seems straight-forward, but had questions with respect to my core and all the remaining switches.  Currently the switches are in 1 vtp domain w/ the core as server and the remaining as clients.  I understand I'll need to take the last switch and change it to transparent, but will I need to do this on the remaining switches as well even if I don't intend to have any pvlan ports off of them, or would I just create the vlans in the vlan database on my core switch so that the tags are honored?  All the uplinks are already trunks and no pruning is in effect, but my concern is how the traffic would be handled by the upstream devices if the isolated/community information isn't known, or will that be handled by the edge switch since it's already aware?  Or am I confusing the matter?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion