Helpful
Replies

UCS KVM IP Adress

Robert Leers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have the following problem with acces to the KVM Console:

When I try to connect to a KVM Console of a blade server, the UCSM doesn't connect direct to the management address of the server. (the IP-Adress was manualy set, not from the pool).  But I have to insert the ip address together with the credentials.

I open the KVM console in the context menu of the server in "Equipment" or the service profile in "servers". I think this is not the regular behaviour.

14 Replies 14

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Robert,

Do you get any particular error message or something you can share with us?

-Kenny

Hello Keny,

I get no error message. I get only the window to input the credentials with an additional field for the ip address. I am using http. The https-redirect is disabled because I had a problem with the self signed certificate. At the beginning everything was fine and I was connected automaticly to the right ip address. But a few weeks after installation of the system java brings up a certificate exception. In three months the customer will implement his own PKI and then we will install a regulare trusted certificate. Meanwhile We want to use http. But with http I have to input the ip address by myself.

That's all what I can say.

Robert,

Let me check some similar cases and I will see what can be done... does the same happen when you try to launch KVM from the Home page where you can also access UCSM?

One last thing, how is the KVM IP address supposed to be assigned to the particular server in this moment? From a pool or statically?

-Kenny

Cristian Munoz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Robert,

Is management IP used by KVM on same VLAN as mgmt0 on the interconnects and in the same routable IP range too?

- Chris,

Hello Chris,

the management IPs aren't in the same VLAN because I can't find a possibility to configure a VLAN for the Management-Interfaces of the blades. In the configuration window of the UCSM GUI there are only IP-Adress, netmask and gateway to configure.

Robert, the KVM IP Adresses should be in the same VLAN as the management IP Adresses of the Fabric Interconnects. There is no need to configure a VLAN; the management interfaces should be connected with a switch in an untagged VLAN. It is up to you if you want to be able to route to that VLAN, you can use a L3 switch or router. Keep in mind the KVM consoles are connected through the management interfaces. The best option is to use an ip-pool within UCS, be sure the pool excludes the IP Adresses of your Fabric Interconnects. I hope this makes more sence.

Hello,

I have connected the managent-Ports of the fabric interconnects with an access port on the switch (2960) in our management vlan (vlan 50):

Interface fastehthernet0/1

switchport access vlan 50

The uplink port is a trunk port to a Nexus 5548, where this vlan will be routed to our data vlan (vlan 100).

I have access from the data vlan to the FI management port and to the management adresses from the blades too.

What I don't understand is why the KVM console doesn't know about the ip address of the blades.

gerardsamuel
Level 1
Level 1

Just chiming in.

I came to the forums to see if anyone is having the same problem as I.  It appears I'm having the same issue with Robert.

I'm currently using firmware 2.1(1f).  On my Windows 8.1 PC with Java 7 update 45, when I open the kvm console from the equipment or service profile from the servers tab, I get prompted to enter credentials, and an IP address.

On my Windows 7 VM with Java 6 update 39, it works as advertised (where the KVM console opens without being prompted for credentials).

For now, I'm going to assume it maybe a Java issue.  What version of Java are you running?

I'm going to experiment with older updates of Java 7, to see if it cures the issue..

Backing down to Java 7 update 40, has restored KVM console access.

Its not a great solution, but it works for me..

For anyone following this thread that has not seen this other post

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2246189   the bug CSCuj84421 is scheduled to be addressed on the next major UCSM release targetted for the present quarter (but not a comitted date)

The issue is because Java 7 u45 changed the behavior of the JRE in terms of the way jnlp parameters are read and the workaround provided for that while the next UCSM version is released, is to downgrade to Java 7 u40 or below, just like Gerard did.

-Kenny

Robert is having a different issue. He is already logged in UCS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

That's right, I'm already logged in UCS and I get the same window that is shown in Gerdards posting.

All,

The answer is the same for the moment, unfortunately. Java 7 u45 changed the behavior of the JRE and that is causing problems.

Are you seen that with a lower Java version too?

-Kenny

Robert,

In UCS Manager. If you go to Servers > Service Profiles > HOSTNAME and in the right view expand "Management IP Address". Do you see a correct IP Address assinged by an IP pool?

Boudewijn

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card