Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wi-Fi Access Point with B Channel or Wi-Fi with B Channel

What does Wi- Fi with B channel or Wi-Fi Access point with B Channel mean. Can someone explain me. I am confused

14 Replies 14

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know what your asking.  if your talking about 802.11b, that is a standard and you can compare the difference of 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n and or 802.11ac. Wireless devices, that means client devices have to be able to support the standard that the access point is using.  So if an access point is 802.11b only, the wireless client device has to be able to support 802.11b.  If for example, the access point is 802.11b/g/a/n/ac, that means the client has to be able to support at least one of those standards to be able to connect.

Just take a look at the standards,  here is a link to a quick comparison.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/a/aa80211standard.htm

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Completely agreeing with Scott. Here a/b/g/n/ac all are standards, in simple sense " the framework " of Wireless communication. However, channels are the group of operational frequencies. See here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

I do know about the standards mentioned . This B Channel is some concept with long distance coverage with high throughputs. Something I believe is used for Wi-Fi Base Stations.I just wanted to know if there is any document I can refer with it?

I don't know of any B channels "concept". 

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

This B Channel is some concept with long distance coverage with high throughputs.

Define "high throughputs".  1 Mbps is considered as a "high throughput" if you ONLY consider 802.11b was first released.

There's a strange possibility that you are refering to a very old document (even the ORIGINAL marketing document for the release of 802.11b standard). 

I too have not heard about the B Channel concept.

What is referenced often as 802.11b standard today is described in two clauses under 802.11 standard - Clause 15 and Clause 18. Clause 15 defines the DSSS encoding for data speeds of 1 and 2Mbps. Later protocol improvement is referenced in Clause 18 and adds the 5.5 and 11 Mbps encodings. This encoding was also called High Rate DSSS (HR/DSSS) and was also part of the 802.11b amendment. Could that be that by High Throughput you are referencing the HR/DSSS 5.5 and 11 encodings?

Clause 18 is indeed HRDSS. It added cck bit coding at 5.5 and 11. HT is clause 20 better know as 802.11n

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Let me further add .. 802.11 clause 14/15 come in 2 flavors (fhss and dsss). DSSS uses barker code to chip the bits and uses DBFSK and DQPSK as modulations, 1 and 2 meg phys respectably. 802.11b was introduced which brought 5.5 and 11 phys.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

My association was going between 'B' and 'High' ;-) Thus I thought that something in between has to be HR/DSSS.

As I have said, this is something which has been asked in the RFP , once i get the complete details I wil update on whct was meant by the customer.

Yeah... Please ask and get more detail, because it doesn't make sense.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Any chance the customer is asking about the 802.11n extension or bonded channel?

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are only 3 non-overlapping channels available in the 802.11b   standard.These are Channels 1,6, and 11. For WiFi access points that are   located near each other it is recommended that they each use one of  the  above non-overlapping channels to minimize the effects of  interference.

I had a meeting with the telecom operator, they are still saying it as B Channel, but on asking for detail, what they are explaining is completely identical to channel Bonding. SO I believe this is their terminology to call Channel Bonding as B Channel. So I believe this is the conclusion. Any more inputs on channel Bonding will be very helpful.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: