Views
Helpful
Replies

ap and wgb

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I know wgb is used as wireless client to extend connectivity to wired end devices. However, can someone please help me understand the difference between

a normal ap & wgb(after it is converted to wgb from an ap), in terms of connectivity & signal coverage.

Can we substitute a normal AP in place of wgb if there is a need to connect a thermal scanner to this wgb or ap and the connections needs to work over the wireless network.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Assuming you will use WGB in your Unified Wireless Environment (without connecting it to another autonomous AP)

WGB will not consume any AP licence of your controller as it will connect to a Lightweight Access point managed by your WLC. There is no direct communication between WLC & WGB.

WGB(client) <====> LAP < ==== > SW <====>  WLC

Wired clients sitting behind WGB will appear under client list (Monitor -> Clients) of your WLC & appear them as a WGB clients (ie "WGB=Yes")

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

If the requirement is to extend the coverage to a location where wired users will be connected, can a WGB be used.

i.e WGB connects to another AP nearby for wireless & a switch is connected to the ethernet port of WGB , where users will connect themselves on.

Yes, this is the functionality of WGB. See below post topology is what you are trying to achieve. If it is, you are ok with that.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/06/16/unified-ap-wgb-with-multiple-vlan/

Is this feasible or we need to have a normal AP(non-WGB) for such a scenario. The users in this location might also connect themselves via wireless at times.

As WGB is typically act as a client, it does not provide wireless coverage expansion (or acting as AP). So you need to have normal AP wireless coverage in the area to wireless client to join (including WGB itself)

Hope this clear, if not let me know

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful resposnes ****

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

As you identified, WGB is nothing but a wireless client (to connect wired devices to wireless network). Therefore you cannot connect any wireless devices to WGB under normal scenario.

So you cannot compare a AP & WGB as it does completely two different functions. You can think of WGB is a wireless client who is having very good antenna/througput (depend on the AP model/SS/etc)

If your WGB is dual band, then you can configure WGB assoication in one radio & you can create a normal wireless SSID in another band. But you need to test this (i haven't test it) & verify it gives what you need as this is not a common way of deploying WGB.

If your Termal Scanner is a wireless device, it will associate to your ROOT AP as normal client.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

thanks.

so can we say that a wgb can only provide connectivity to a client connected wired to it?

But it will not be able to provide wireless coverage for end users along the area. is that understanding correct?

Yes, that's correct.

WGB solution is not for extending wireless coverage, but connecting wired clients (who does not have wireless interfaces) to your wireless network.

HTH

Rasika

Thanks.

Will WGB reflecting as client add to the AP licenses on the controller , as the license count increases the same way when we add an access point?

Assuming you will use WGB in your Unified Wireless Environment (without connecting it to another autonomous AP)

WGB will not consume any AP licence of your controller as it will connect to a Lightweight Access point managed by your WLC. There is no direct communication between WLC & WGB.

WGB(client) <====> LAP < ==== > SW <====>  WLC

Wired clients sitting behind WGB will appear under client list (Monitor -> Clients) of your WLC & appear them as a WGB clients (ie "WGB=Yes")

HTH

Rasika

If the requirement is to extend the coverage to a location where wired users will be connected, can a WGB be used.

i.e WGB connects to another AP nearby for wireless & a switch is connected to the ethernet port of WGB , where users will connect themselves on.

Is this feasible or we need to have a normal AP(non-WGB) for such a scenario. The users in this location might also connect themselves via wireless at times.

Just getting some more understanding on this. Thanks.

Yes, this is the functionality of WGB. See below post topology is what you are trying to achieve. If it is, you are ok with that.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/06/16/unified-ap-wgb-with-multiple-vlan/

As WGB is typically act as a client, it does not provide wireless coverage expansion (or acting as AP). So you need to have normal AP wireless coverage in the area to wireless client to join (including WGB itself)

Hope this clear, if not let me know

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful resposnes ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: