cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC smartnet adder licences

Tim Butters
Level 1
Level 1

The virtual wireless lan controller is purely awesome. It let's me control the hardware of the box and let's further converge my HA policies.

However, I'm confused regarding support. I want smartnet - but the licenses for the controller are sold in adder packs. I have the 5 AP pack now and have smartnet on that part code. But what happens when I want to add another 10 pack to make a total of 15 AP's? Do I need to have smartnet on that part code as well as the 5 adder licence?

I can't seem to get a correct answer. Obviously I'm hoping for that I don't, and that I just pay smartnet for the base system and not depending on how many adder licences I have. My 50 AP controller is currently costing us about 2000£ a year for smartnet alone.

4 Replies 4

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

You need to have Smartnet on the AP licenses. As with the physical WLC, as you add license you should continue to add Smartnet for each adder license.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

SMARTnet for WLC and SMARTnet for APs are different. You should opt 1st SMARTnet for APs ( without which , you can't Upgrade the OS ) , then SMARTnet for WLC. However, SMARTnet for WLCs come in unit of number of APs the WLC supports. For eg. for a virtual WLC which supports 5 APS, the SMARTnet product SKU will be CON-SAU-CTVM5K9

Tim Butters
Level 1
Level 1

Can you imagine how hard it's going to be to ensure all the adder Smartnet licences are kept up to date and in sync..

Jacob Snyder
Level 5
Level 5

It's not too bad if you work with your reseller. just have them co-term the adders to the parent and it makes things easier.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card