Views
Helpful
Replies

Warehous Wireless Installation

jacovr
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following problem:

I have a 150m x 150m warehouse with the roof being 25m high.

The client has already ordered Cisco 3602 access points, and need them installed.

I know Cisco recommend that AP's be installed not higher than 11m from the ground.

Someone suggested suspending the AP, with a combination of galvanised pole & metal chain from the roof of the warehouse, in order to eliminate damage, should it be hit by a forklift.

Has anyone dealt with a similar scenario, that can make any suggestions ?

6 Replies 6

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Cisco 3600s AP installation in  Warehouse and Factory

Warehouse installations are often difficult because of the very high ceilings and the clutter of the material in storage. As part of your site survey, always check the coverage when the warehouse is fully stocked, since the material in storage can change the RF coverage and interfere with uniform coverage.

For aisles, use directional (patch) antennas on the wall and shoot down the aisles. You can also use lowgain omnidirectional antennas (such as dipoles) on the ceiling or units with integrated antennas; high gain omnidirectional antennas tend to have more nulls.

The higher the AP is mounted, the farther the signal must travel. Use pipe and electrical box mounting techniques to lower the AP (external and internal antenna models) so that it is closer to users.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A proper site survey normally included the ap model and antennas. If these are internal antennas and placed high you could see issues. Almost all solid warehouse surveys use patch antennas to direct the signal it keep down interference.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So here is the thing. When you have ceiling that high, what is the highest clearance required by the warehouse? There are typical area that are walkways, which have a lower requirement and might also have exit signs that are dropped from the ceiling. In areas with forklift trucks, I have seen the lowest allowed clearance has to be a few feet above the highest rack with one skid, which allows the skip to be lifted up for placement and or removal.

When you know this info, you can run a junction box on the ceiling that is break away. Then run conduit down to the appropriate height (AFF-above finish floor) with another junction box to mount the universal access point mounting bracket in which the ap will be placed. Like I mentioned, in areas that are dedicated by walk ways or non forklift areas, you can drop the access points pretty far down. Using the height of the emergency exits signs will give you a good example of the height requirement. These break away junction boxes will not fall if hit by a forklift or skid. They will just swing and then you can fix it.

I have done many high ceiling warehouses with 3602i's, but I have also done a site survey. There are only a few site that I have deployed patches, but it will be determined by a site survey.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanx Scott.

Can you please explain what a  "break away junction box" is ?  Maybe post a link or a picture ?

Yes guys I know directional antennas would be a better option, and have done multiple warehouses like that (with the now end-of-life 1242 APs), but unfortunatly we were only asked to do the installation.

Here is a few examples

http://www.mayerelectric.com/taxonomyLevelFilterPH.action?codeId=16699&levelNo=3

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Can you describe the walls of the warehouse? 

Is it all concrete from floor to ceiling or is it half concrete and half metal sheet?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card