Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Services - 3560X

Jeff Harned
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have finished installing an license upgrade from ipbase to ipservices in a 3560X switch.  Executing the show license command indicates

that the "License State: Active: In Use" is set for ipservices.

The reason for the upgrade is so that I will be able to do Inter-VLAN IP Multicast Routing.  How do I determine that I have the proper commands to do this?

Running the show ? command does not show what I am looking for; example ip pim dense-mode?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeff

Was that all there was to it?

Pretty much, yes. 

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeff

try these commands -

switch(config)# ip multicast-routing

if it accepts that then change to an SVI on your switch and try -

switch(config-if)# ip pim ?

Jon

Hi,

Pls use this command

sdm prefer lanbase-routing

reload the switch & check

Rate if helpful

BR/Subhojit

Hello

I checked my sdm setting and it is set to "desktop default". Are you saying that commanding the switch to "sdm prefer routing"

will enable me to use Inter-VLAN Multicast Routing?

Thanks..

Regards

Jeff

Jeff

There are certain things such as PBR that do require you to change to the routing template but i'm not aware of this requirement for multicast. You may want to depending on how many routes you are going to have. See the table in this link for details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swsdm.html

Are the multicast commands i posted not available ?

Jon

Hi Jon

I have a small LAN setup and have spent a great amount of time working with VLANs and with Multicast VLAN Registration (MVR).  At this time there is no routing outside my present setup but at some time there will be.  My goal is to be able to work with Inter-VLAN IP Multicast Routing and to prove the concept can work in our environment.

Unfortuntaly, I did not have the correct switches to explore this.  We finally got a 3560x switch upgraded with the IPservices License and just got it installed.  However, and this what I am trying to find out, is that I do not have the confidenene that I have everything to do the routing now. 

I know in my previous dicussions in the past before the upgrade that I needed the license upgrade and PIM to do the routing.

When I try to enter PIM on the switch, the command is not recognized.  What am I missing and how do I check  that the switch is ready to go? 

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

On the 3560

switch(config)# ip ?

do you see an option for multicast-routing

if yes

change to an SVI ie.

switch(config)# int vlan

switch(config-if)# ip pim ?

do you see options for different PIM types ?

Jon

Hi Jon

Thats what I needed to see!!!  I have sparse-dense-mode, sparse-mode and dense-mode among others.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

Pretty much, yes. 

Jon

Thanks, Jon

Have a good Holiday!

Regards,

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card