cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Noob and his Ebay 831 Router

Chris Simon
Level 1
Level 1

I picked up an 831 Ethernet Router for 5$ on ebay just to set up two static IPs on my home network--simple boring. The manual says to hook up my PC one of the ethernet ports and set it to DHCP. This returns a odd DHCP value, 169.254.92.156 or 169.254.50.157. I expected 10.10.10.x

What do you think is going on? Did the last owner config the router with this strange subnet? Or is it borked?

Can I reset the modem without having to get the console cable?

What's more, I assumed this router could set up basic NAT static IP for the ethernet ports. But the manual only mentions DHCP. Searches on NAT and static IP didn't return any How-To or other useful getting started links.

The network is very simple. I have a cable modem and two PCs I want on this router. Any reason I can't expect to fix this?

<div class="mcePaste" id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden;" mcestyle="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden;"></div>

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's been years since I've played with the 830 series, but if I recall there's 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port.  The 4 LAN ports are grouped together in to a virtual interface called "Ethernet0" and the WAN port will be "Ethernet1". 

Honestly, my suggestion on the 831 is to toss it and get an 851 or 871 instead.  In addition to the weird interface naming, there's very limited software support both in terms of IOS and GUI-based management.  Also, they're limited to something like 4 Mbps of throughput.

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi chris,

the 169.254.x.x is an auto assigned IP (APIPA) when windows machine can't get an IP via DHCP.

i believe, there's no reset button on this kind of router and you'll need to a console cable to see if the router boots properly.

once you get a console connection, we could set up your router using CLI or do a basic setup for GUI management (whichever you're comfortable with).

It's been years since I've played with the 830 series, but if I recall there's 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port.  The 4 LAN ports are grouped together in to a virtual interface called "Ethernet0" and the WAN port will be "Ethernet1". 

Honestly, my suggestion on the 831 is to toss it and get an 851 or 871 instead.  In addition to the weird interface naming, there's very limited software support both in terms of IOS and GUI-based management.  Also, they're limited to something like 4 Mbps of throughput.

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can you attach the config you have so far

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Chris Simon
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all your replies.

First, The cheapness of these old routers really suit my purpose. This unit will be part of a presentation I've been working up for my local Public Library. So, really, the cheaper the better--provided they work. In the end I hope to explain setup of a Dynamic DNS web server with your own URL all from used eBay parts and Linux. There are some crazy great deals out there, and some real nutty trends (I've bid on several 871s that went < 50$, and had several my 75$ offers rejected.

Second, my immediate goal seemed simple enough. I want to set a static IP for each of two computers, and a wireless modem, I fully expected the GUI web portal at 10.10.10.1 to handle this. But I find the Cisco Router Web Setup documentation not relevant to what I'm experiencing, and I can't find any similar documentation at Cisco to explain console setup (PC to Router).

I'm new to Cisco products. I don't have any familiarity with Cisco terminology to efficiently navigate the site.

I'm working on PC laptop running Arch Linux and a RAID server (with the necessary connector) running CentOS6. So, I can follow instructions for CLI--if I can find them. Any help with links to docs or explanations of what I need to do to achieve the basic configuration goal will be a great help.

hi chris,

if you can get a console session and issue a show run command from the 831, that'll be a great way to start.

also, kindly provide a brief description (or text network diagram) of what you would want to achieve.

Chris Simon
Level 1
Level 1

Ok. I've managed to figure out how to connect to the router and get the requested info, but there's not much to my configuration.

Router>enable

Router#show run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 580 bytes

!

version 12.2

no service pad

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

no service password-encryption

!

hostname Router

!

logging queue-limit 100

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

ip audit notify log

ip audit po max-events 100

no ftp-server write-enable

!

!

!

!

I've been trying to reset the router so I can use Cisco Router Web Setup as described by the quick start page I cited above.

As I said, I was able to connect and I entered the device configuration dialog just as I found instructions in this link. Did I unwittingly circumvent CRWS when I entered this information? The only real difference is this setup assigns the router IP as 10.1.1.1. But it doesn't seem to make a difference using 10.10.10.1 or 10.1.1.1 in a browser. (the router never gives the client--CentOS--an IP). I followed some advice from stackexchange to reset the password as described here in the hopes this would reset the default configuration. This was not successful.

However, now I feel confident I can follow a command prompt configuration script if I have the right one. The trouble is searching for instructions with 831 only turns up this quick start guide I mentioned above. I found these documents here at Cisco, but I don't know all the Cisco-terms to read these pages and know they're what I want

Configuring Wide Area Network Connections (setup the 831 to connect to the cable modem)

Configuring DHCP, DDNS, and WCCP Services (setup DDNS)

Configuring Network Address Translation and Static Port Address Translation to Support an Internal Web Server (setup NAT, static IP for Internal Web Server)

Can I cobble together a configuration for the 831 from these pages given where I'm starting from? Will these help me setup NAT on the four ethernet ports (two client compters and one web server) with DDNS on the 831 connected to my IPS's Cable modem?

.???
You were able to "enable"
So there is no enable password set?
To reset the default config do "write erase" and reload

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

@Pieterh, Thanks for the reply. I performed the actions you  described. Unfortunately these did not restore the missing CRWS  functionality as described in the quickstart guide linked above. And  this may be the result of not being able to get an IP, so the router  remains unreachable.

I'm connected via the console cable and with a  cross-over cable to port 4. I've disabled Network Manager on CentOS and  I'm using a network-script configured to DHCP and the command  `/etc/init.d/network restart` to get the IP.

// EDIT:

Also, the eBay seller has responded to my frustration with this:

"When it comes to these routers there is no "factory reset", there are  either configs on them or no configs on them. [...] As far as the web  interface is concerned, you still need to console into the router and do  some configuring to enable the web interface."

From what I've experienced, this sounds about right. WHICH leads me back to my last question. Can I just pick and choose among the How-tos I find here to cobble together the setup I need (described above). Maybe someone familiar with the 831 can take a look at these links and tell me if they apply to or not and why. I'm not asking really for someone to go over these links and guarantee they'll work. More that I'm on the right track with how I can use this web site and if I'm understanding these documents correctly.

For example, the last link has these first few messages which are either helpful or useless depending on how well written the documentation is on the site:

Prerequisites

Requirements

There are no specific requirements for this document.

Components Used

This document is not restricted to specific software and hardware       versions.

Hi,

Tell us the IP of your modem,which ip addressing you want for your LAN and what ports you want to forward on your server and we willprovide you a CLI running-config to achieve your needs.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Cadet Alain said,

Tell us the IP of your modem,which ip addressing you want for your LAN  and what ports you want to forward on your server and we willprovide you  a CLI running-config to achieve your needs.

Have I found IT heaven? haha.

Sure.

1 Three networking devices:

1.1 ISP provided cable modem with dynamic IP served from the cable provider/ISP ($39/mo)

1.2 This Cisco 831 router (10.10.10.1) ($19.50)

1.2.1 E1 Port connected to (1.1)

1.2.2 E0 Ports 1-4 connected to each,

1.2.2.1 Public HTTP Server (static 10.10.10.2) ($150, 2004 5-disk RAID)

1.2.2.2 Belkin WiFi Router (static 10.10.10.3) ($24)

1.2.2.3 General use (static 10.10.10.4)

1.2.2.4 General use (static 10.10.10.5)

The Public HTTP Server must then be accessible from my own url. I currently have ZoneEdit. Their site claims I can setup DDNS [1] ($12/yr).

----

That's what I'm trying to put together for this presentation. Cheap, Huh? ~$200 equipment and $492 + $9 DNH = $701 to host your own web site for a year. I think I paid almost that for a 500MB hard disk drive once. ahaha.

----

[1]: http://zoneedit.com/dynamicDNS.html

int e1

description To Cable Modem

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x  IP address in same subnet as ISP modem

ip dhcp client client-id ethernet1

ip nat outside

no shutdown

int vlan 1

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1 10.10.10.5

no ip dhcp conflict logging

ip dhcp pool mypool

network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 10.10.10.1

dns-server x.x.x.x   where x.x.x.x is ISP cable modem IP address

access-list 1 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside source list 1 interface ethernet1

ip nat inside source static tcp 10.10.10.2 80 interface ethernet1 80

You'll need to port forward from Internet to dhcp address of ethernet1 on tcp port 80

To see this IP : sh ip int brief

Test this first and tell us if:

-client can get ipconfig from the 831 with correct settings

-cisco 831 can ping external IP like 8.8.8.8

-client can ping Cable Modem

-client can ping external IP 8.8.8.8

-you can access webserver from outside on WAN IP from Cable Modem

If everything is ok then you'll do the dyndns on your cable Modem and you'll do a static dhcp lease for cisco 831

on cable modem.

Regards

Alain

@cadet alain

"If everything is ok then you'll do the dyndns on your cable Modem"

Time out. I don't think this cable modem is user configurable (Arris TM-822)[1]. Its just whatever the Cable Company provided when I signed up for the service.

The 800 series is advertised as a telecommuter product [2]. Surly as a telecommuting solution it would be necessary to have some "modem" such as DSL or Cable...?

Can you please explain your choice to push this config to the access point?

[1]: http://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=80

[2]: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps4874/product_data_sheet09186a008010e5c5.html

Hi,

The AP is the Belkin in your topology provided you can put it in AP mode only otherwise you'll have to do some more configs and your wifi clients will be on a different subnet.

Did you try the config I provided then we'll take care of dyndns.

Regards

Alain

@cadet alain,

Can you explain which sections of your running config example apply to the various comman modes? i.e.

• Global configuration
  • Interface configuration
  • Router configuration

[1]: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/819/software/configuration/Guide/a_ios_skills.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card