cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mp-bgp config

amit bhatnagar
Level 1
Level 1

when I am enabling MP-BGP , I was reading couple of documents they say if you give command below .

address-family vpnv4

neighbor x.x.x.x activate

automattically for all VRF on that Layer 3 device "address-family ipv4 vrf vrf name " command is added in show running configration . like below

address-family ipv4 vrf VRF_1
address-family ipv4 vrf VRF_2

I was worred becuase I didnts wated all VRF to be communicating over MP-BGP

Thanks for help

1 Reply 1

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The vrf's are logical separations. When you enable a vrf in bgp, the vrf still has route-targets that either import or export other route-targets to share information between vrfs. When you have multiple vrfs configured under bgp like this, they don't automatically share information because they're configured under the vrf. That depends on how you have your vrf configured.

Enabling vpnv4 address family doesn't automatically configure bgp with the vrf address-family configuration (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're stating). You will have to have the vrf configured under bgp in order to share your routing information to your other PEs. This is also the place where you configure redistribution of other protocols.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card