Views
Helpful
Replies

ipsec vpn client

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

We would be setting up an remote access ipsec vpn on asa & following the cisco documentation on it.

But, can we just download any vpn client available on cisco site to be installed at users laptop or is there any specific ones we need to look at.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you are referring to the old IPsec VPN client then naturally go for the latest version (5.x) for your operating systems. You should need a service contract to download those.

Using the old VPN Client instead of AnyConnect probably isnt a good long term solution but should still work.

- Jouni

Thanks.

But if we were to use anyconnect instead of old vpn, i believe we will need to setup SSL VPN on the asa. Please correct if wrong

& we have some limitations on the anyconnect license.

Hi,

Yes, AnyConnect is a SSL VPN Client though to my understanding you can do IKEv2 but that requires the use of certificates. I am hopelessly lost with regards to that kind of setup as I have never even tried it nor have I ever used certificates with VPN connections.

The default ASA only contains license for 2 SSL VPN Client or 2 SSL Clientless VPN users. AnyConnect Essentials is required to be able to use the SSL VPN Client. AnyConnect Premium is to my understanding required if you want to do both SSL VPN Client and SSL Clientless.

Here are some additionals links with regards to SSL VPNs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect31/feature/guide/anyconnect31features.html

http://packetpushers.net/cisco-asa-licensing-explained/

- Jouni

Thanks Joni.

I guess in our case due to limitations, we have to stick with remote vpn using usual vpn client.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: