Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Cisco Prime 2.0 & MSE new installation with existing WCS

Answered Question
Dec 5th, 2013
User Badges:

Hello!

I have a customer that purchased Cisco Prime 1.2 upgrade from WCS, but it was never installed.  We're getting ready to do so now, and I have a few questions about the process and any recommendations from folks who have done this before. 

There are presently ~150 APs configured on the WCS (and WISM1s), but the maps used were not very detailed, and some are not to scale. 

As part of this overall wireless upgrade, I've set up an HA pair of 7500 FlexControllers, and added a few new APs to it.  All of the current APs (on the WISM1s) will get migrated to the 7500, as well as bunch of new APs will be installed for a total near 600 when we are done.  There are multiple campuses, with multiple buildings per campus.  We are going to use new, higher resolution, and more accurate maps (beyond what was installed on the WCS).  There is also a new MSE 3355 to be installed.

My current tentative plan is to:

1. Install the PI 1.2 media (new install)

2. Apply patching to get to 1.2.1.12

3. Install the PI 2.0 upgrade (supported upgrade from 1.2.1.12)

4. On PI 2.0, configure Mobility Group and add WISMs and 7500s to it

5. Get new / better maps into PI 2.0.

6. Apply basic config to new MSE 3355, and add it to PI

7. Synchronize maps and WLCs to MSE from PI.

8. Start moving old APs from WISM1s to 7500s (as well as support new APs as they get installed). 

Any mistakes or major missing steps here?  Since we're changing maps, I wasn't planning on exporting data from the WCS for import to the PI, but would appreciate knowing if there's a reason to do so. 

Thank you!

Deb

Correct Answer by Rob Johnson about 3 years 8 months ago

I'm not familiar w/ the ProxMox virtual environment -  Does it run ESX?  If yes, you'll be good. If it doesn't run ESX, it won't work.

Here are the system requriements for Prime 1.2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1.2/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#wp72032

VMware ESXi Server software is required on the server. Version 5.0 is required for the Large and Extra Large OVAs. Version 4.1 will work with Small and Medium OVAs, but 5.0 is preferred. Prime Infrastructure 1.2 has not been tested with VMware ESXi Server versions later than 5.0.

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Rasika Nayanajith Thu, 12/05/2013 - 15:28
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Hi Deb,

I would do a fresh install of PI 2.0 & go from step 5 onwards. Even though customer purchased PI 1.2 he is entitle to go to PI 2.0 or any other upgrade. You can talk to TAC & get any licensing  if any differences what was purchased & what is required in PI 2.0.

These migration will be not smooth as far as  I know. Also you are not gaining any thing (since you are adding maps fresh & no data migration)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Rob Johnson Thu, 12/05/2013 - 15:44
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I would probably start out by installing 2.0 then either add the 7500, the new/better images then place the APS all while leaving the WCS system up and running so you could do side by side comparisons on AP placement

You could also export the maps from WCS then import the maps into the newly built Prime 2.0 server then slowly migrate the APs from crappy maps to good maps.

You could also do a full blown migration of the data from WCS to NCS and them to Prime.

Once you have the maps all setup the way you like them then add the MSE into the Prime server, sync with the WLC(s) then sync the maps or network designs.

The steps in your plan look OK.  I would probably skip the part on installing 1.2 then patching it then upgrading to 2.0

desmith Fri, 12/06/2013 - 08:33
User Badges:

Thanks for your replies and suggestions, Rasika and Rob.

I thought about doing a fresh install of 2.0, but I'm not sure that we'll be able to do so.  The only media we have is 1.2, and the customer runs ProxMox virtual environment (not VMWare). 

There are images for downloading for:

- An ISO for the Cisco appliance (they do not have this).

- Upgrade installer (for both appliance and virtuals).

- .ova files for the various "sizes" of server

- Installer for the plug and play gateway

We could try the ISO for the appliance, but I'd guess that it's unlikely to work. 

Anyway, all this is why I was thinking of starting with the media that we have, and then applying the 2.0 upgrade.

Any other / better suggestions are always appreciated!

Thank you again,

Deb

Correct Answer
Rob Johnson Fri, 12/06/2013 - 10:12
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I'm not familiar w/ the ProxMox virtual environment -  Does it run ESX?  If yes, you'll be good. If it doesn't run ESX, it won't work.

Here are the system requriements for Prime 1.2

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1.2/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#wp72032

VMware ESXi Server software is required on the server. Version 5.0 is required for the Large and Extra Large OVAs. Version 4.1 will work with Small and Medium OVAs, but 5.0 is preferred. Prime Infrastructure 1.2 has not been tested with VMware ESXi Server versions later than 5.0.

desmith Thu, 12/12/2013 - 09:25
User Badges:

Thanks again, Rob, for your time and information. 

FYI:  We have successfully installed 2.0 into a (brand new here) ESXi environment.   After some initial difficulties, I've gotten hold of some great AutoCad 2008 .dwg files (the version has to be 2010 or earlier), and started importing them. 

Best Regards,

Deb

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network