cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP on fiber backbone over fiber converter

dariuswojcik
Level 1
Level 1

A few days ago i was asked to add additional voip-phones into an existing voip-ready network.

I am not new to qos/voip, the general voip implementation is no problem. It is the additional connection that needs to be implemented.

The scenario:

E4506 (existing) ---- C3750X-12S  (just installed) --- fiber (existing)  --- fiber converter (just  installed) --- 2-Ports Mini Switch (just installed) --- client and voip  phone connected separately (to be implemented)

Now, what I expect to happen is that the VoIP phone  should boot up and  send it's DHCP Discover in the native VLAN 1, obtain  its IP address, immediately releases  the IP address and hangs on to  the voice VLAN 2. It then reboots and sends the DHCP Discover in the  Voice VLAN 2and obtain its IP address.

Does it work over fiber converter and 2-Ports Mini Switch?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Regards,

Darius

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Depends on this so-called "mini switch".  Some switches don't understand Voice VLAN so you need to configure the port to be an 802.1q trunk.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes.

ok, that is fine :-)

VLAN1 is self-explanatory. After rebooting in VLAN2 the phone will send VLAN2 tagged Packets over the Mini-Switch. In your opinion, will the Mini Switch forward these tagged packets to C3750X in the correct VLAN2?

just to be sure bevore i say "yes" to my client:-)

Depends on this so-called "mini switch".  Some switches don't understand Voice VLAN so you need to configure the port to be an 802.1q trunk.

it works fine :-)

Contrary to given information it is a managed micro switch "Microsense Gigabit Ethernet Micro Switch 6 Port" with the possibility of vlan and 802.1q trunk adjustment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: