cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5580 / SDM6.3(2) - Question about setting up resiliency for site to site VPN tunnels

sgonsalv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

Might sound like a basic question. 

Some points:

0. We have 2 ASAs

1. We have setup a site to site VPN tunnel between our ASA (Monash) and the external site (BMC).

2. The inside interface is 130.194.9.209/28 on ASA1 and 130.194.9.210/28 on ASA2 (VLAN303)

3. The outside interface is 130.194.9.193/28 on ASA1 and 130.194.9.194 on ASA2 (VLAN302)

4 Our ASAs are configured in routed mode

5. The servers within our network that need to use this tunnel sit one router hop away from the ASA, i.e. the servers are not on a directly attached subnet to the ASA.

6. Due to 5 above, we've setup some host routes on the downstream router (which is one hop from the ASA), to point to the inside interface of our ASA (i.e. 130.194.9.209).  Note here i've chosen to use ASA1 for testing.

My question is how do we setup a resilient setup where if ASA1 goes down traffic is routed via ASA2? At the moment because I'm using ASA1 for testing, the static routes on the downstream router which is one hop away points to the inside interface of ASA1.  This works well.  Also note, the other end points to ASA1 oustide IP as a peer.

Hope this makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated,.

thanks

Sheldon

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have a couple of options. The first and the one I would suggest, is to use Reverse Route Injection (RRI). Your other option is to use tracking and/or IPSLA on the router to add/remove routes depending on reachability. On the remote end you'll need to add both 130.194.9.193 and 130.194.9.194 as VPN peers.

Thanks for the info - very helpful.

Cheers

Sheldon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: