Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

3602i Site Survey Question

Unanswered Question
Dec 10th, 2013
User Badges:

Hello guys,

I have some question about site surveying using Cisco 3602i.  Since I started using the 3602, I found the 5GHz signal very weak (see attached). I was standing probably 5 - 6ft from the AP and the 5GHz RSSI was in the range of -60 -  -51dBm.

I have the AP radios configured at 14dBm. There was a couple of 5GHz from the neighbor, but it should not be a problem since those neighbor APs are 3 floors below and the signal was very weak from where I was standing.

Also, what is the power level should I configure the AP for .11AC site survey? Should I still configure the powel to 25mW for both radios?

In addition, what is the deployment ratio for LBS using the WSSI? I know for the 3602i  wIPS WSSI module, it is 5:2, but what about LBS?

Thanks

Overall Rating: 3.5 (2 ratings)
Scott Fella Tue, 12/10/2013 - 05:03
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Make sure you using a unii-3 channel as unii-1 has lower TX power and unii-2 you might hit DFS. I still survey at 25mW also. Make sure the AP doesn't have a bad radio in it also. You never know.

Location based surveys is the same as before and doesn't change because you want to us AC. If you wanted to guarantee AC, you would have a very high density deployment. LBS doesn't require AC and only requires triangulation from 3 AP's at a -75dbm or better.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

steelinquisitor Tue, 12/10/2013 - 05:51
User Badges:

Scott,

I was using channel 165 on the picture I attached to my first post and I tried other UNII 3 channels as well, but I am getting really weak signal from 3602. I have multiple 3602 that I converted to thick for site surveying, and all of them were very similar in regards to 5GHz signal.

Do you think there is something wrong with my 3602i's ?

How do I check the for bad radio?

Scott Fella Tue, 12/10/2013 - 05:59
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Try using 149 or 161... I have never used 165.  Also, I would see how far out the 5ghz goes until you hit your survey requirement which is -65 to -72 depending.  The 2.4ghz of course will have better coverage, but seeing what your seeing doesn't bother me unless the signal drops out when in another room.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

steelinquisitor Tue, 12/10/2013 - 10:07
User Badges:

I will test that pence I get back to the office. I don't my survey kit with me at the moment.

Scott, I have another question. What do you use or recommend for RSSI value for the wIPS survey. This is going to be with 3702 with WSSI module.
What is going to be the AP coverage for the wIPS survey? Is one, two or three AP coverage?

Thanks

Scott Fella Tue, 12/10/2013 - 13:18
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

wIPS design is the same no matter what access point you choose. Take a look at the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/wips/deployment/guid...

vlad.mihailov Tue, 12/10/2013 - 10:57
User Badges:

Check your wireless NIC card, you may have an issue with it. I have recently ran in to this when surveiing with a wireless card attached to an USB hub to the top of my laptop's lid. Internal card (Intell 6300-series) would show 8 dB difference with the external card (Orinoco Proxim) :-(

steelinquisitor Tue, 12/10/2013 - 11:07
User Badges:

I did some testing before comparing the built-in wireless NIC on my laptop and my Proxim 8494. And found that the Proxim was -8 to -10dB higher than my built-in wireless card. For surveying, I only use the Proxim card.

vlad.mihailov Tue, 12/10/2013 - 15:13
User Badges:

Ironically my Orinoco card would show lower results versus Intel. However that depends on where I clip my USB hub too. In the spot above the lid it would show somewhat similar results, when positioned behind the lid it showed lower.

George Stefanick Tue, 12/10/2013 - 18:32
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

I hate when you see this big of a gap. Im a fan of the proxim USB. Take the safe way and survey at 25mW or even 12.5 mW at the AP to give you room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

steelinquisitor Tue, 12/10/2013 - 20:13
User Badges:

I also have noticed that once I set my dot11radio0 to 14dBm and when I do a show run, it bumps up to 16dBm. Has anyone have this issue?

Scott Fella Tue, 12/10/2013 - 20:25
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

I have not seem that, but as far as AirMagnet, some versions did have issues like what you are seeing. I always check my Proxim card with my builtin wireless card. If you install the AirMagnet drivers it suppose to calibrate the card. You can manually calibrate the card or just call up AirMagnet support.

Florin Barhala Tue, 12/10/2013 - 23:11
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi guys,

Sorry for being a bit off-topic. When doing Site Survey, you're using another software over an existing already deployed wireless infrastructure (APs+WLC)?

Next to that, from where you can tune APs db or mW? Is it from WLC: ... Tx Power Level Assignment option or are you doing this on the Software Survey App?

Scott Fella Wed, 12/11/2013 - 03:47
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You can do a post site survey to verify coverage on an existing wireless environment. Yes you would use a tool to capture this information, but any tweaking is done on the WLC side.

vlad.mihailov Wed, 12/11/2013 - 08:54
User Badges:

You are adjusting transmit power (Cisco does it in Levels, each level is half power from the adjacent one). Then, assuming the software you use is correctly representing data (that is the topic of this thread) you register received strength with software and figure out if your results match targets.

steelinquisitor Wed, 12/11/2013 - 06:13
User Badges:

Scott,

I selected the Proxim card in the manual calibration and the RSSI got worse. Flukes' recommendation is no calibration which seems like the default.

Scott Fella Wed, 12/11/2013 - 07:04
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

They always recommend defaults, but if you notice a bug difference, then something is wrong. We typically engage AirMagnet support when we discover issues like this.

steelinquisitor Wed, 12/11/2013 - 07:28
User Badges:

Basically, the built-in wireless NIC on my laptop (Dell E6410) and the Proxim card should provide same value of RSSI. If not at least very close value.

vlad.mihailov Wed, 12/11/2013 - 08:51
User Badges:

"I always check my Proxim card with my builtin wireless card." now that is a great advise and that is what I am doing now. Fortunately I spotted the descrepancy when it was still easy to address.

AirMagnet support didn't really have anything to say about it. I was surprised also that if I'd run a capture with Proxim, then would choose a different card to interprite the survey results the difference was huge!! When I asked AirMagnet support about that they showed me they have the same huge difference at their end and thought this to be a bug.

Strange world..

Actions

This Discussion