cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC500- Outbound SIP Routing Question

Chad Decker
Level 1
Level 1

We have a UC540 that is receiving its trunking from a cloud based sip server.  They have two trunks on the server, one for voice traffic and one for fax traffic.  Inbound this works fine but all outbound traffic goes over the 'voice' trunk.  Is it possible to route outbound traffic, from the fxs ports that the fax machines are connected to, onto the 'fax' trunk of the sip server?  The sip server only provides one ip address, with unique registration to each trunk.

5 Replies 5

DaSpadeR
Level 1
Level 1

It's been a number of years since I did this, but yes you should be able to 'source' route the traffic back the other way via a few methods. There may be cleaner ways to do this...

Essentially, I would use a translation rule or digit prepend on the 'pots' peer that the fax machine is using and prepend a digit or code. When the voice gateway looks for an outbound SIP dial-peer, your dial pattern to match will be the prepended number (which you then strip).

You could also have them prepend a digit 8 or such from the fax machine to select the 'line out'. 7+ goes to voice trunk, 8+ goes to fax trunk.

There may be a way to pin the lines together, plar? or such in a 1:1 method. There are a lot of ways to do translations, here's a link to one of them http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a0080325e8e.shtml

If no one else answers and you are still stuck, ping me here or google me for other contact info.

-john spade

Chad,

You can use xlation rules to prefix a digit to the called number originating from the fxs port. You will then configure a dial-peer to match this new called number, direct the dial-peer to the sip trunk for the fax traffic and finally strip the prefix digit..

The steps below details this suggested solution

1. create a xlation rule to prefix 8 for ecery call dialled from the fax ports and another one to strip the 8 before sending it out to ITSP

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /.+/ /8\1/

voice translation-rule 2

rule 2 /^8\(.+\)/ /\1/

voice translation-profile fax

translate called 1

voice translation-profile stripprefix

translate called 2

Apply the translation rule to the fax port and the dial-peer pointing to the fax sip trunk

2. voice-port 1/0/1

translation-profie outgoing fax

dial-peer voice 100 voip

translation-profie outgoing stripprefix

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Chad Decker
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response.  Let me clarify my question a bit.  I get the translation routing part and that is very helpful but I am still stuck on how to point a dial peer to the 'fax' trunk on the sip server.

A typical dial peer on the switch looks like this:

dial-peer voice 1022 voip
corlist outgoing call-national
description **CCA*Generic Locale*Long Distance**
translation-profile outgoing SIP-Trunk-Out
preference 1
destination-pattern 91[2-9]..[2-9]......
session protocol sipv2
session target sip-server
voice-class codec 1
voice-class sip dtmf-relay force rtp-nte
dtmf-relay rtp-nte
ip qos dscp cs5 media
ip qos dscp cs4 signaling
no vad

and the sip-ua looks like this:

sip-ua

credentials username 7xxxxx5 password xxxxx realm xxx.xxx.xxx.236  (voice trunk/user ID on the sip server)

credentials username 7xxxxx6 password xxxxx realm xxx.xxx.xxx.236  (fax trunk/user ID on the sip server)

keepalive target ipv4:xxx.xxx.xxx.236:5060

authentication username 7xxxxx5 password xxxxxx

no remote-party-id

retry invite 2

retry register 10

timers connect 100

timers keepalive active 100

registrar ipv4:xxx.xxx.xxx.236 expires 3600

sip-server ipv4:xxx.xxx.xxx.236:5060

connection-reuse

host-registrar

Thanks,

Chad

From this config you have posted, you only have a single sip trunk for both fax and voice traffic. You just have differnet authentication ids for them..All your traffic will go to the same trunk unless you have a different sip trunk (having a different ip) to send fax calls to

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Bummer, I was affraid that might be the answer.

Thanks for your help.

Chad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: