cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to know the topology of my switched network?

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Our switched network has approximatley 90 switches and i've been assingned the task to draw the topology.

I've been told the below information:

1. All are cisco switches itslef.

2. I've been provided with ROOT credentials

3. They told that each switch is connected to two other switches other than the ROOT switch.

4. The main problem is i shouldn't enter into the datacentre ...rather sitting at my desk i need to prepare it and i've been provided with one day time.

I know that CDP helps but logging into 90 switches is a bit tedius process. So i there any command to get the topolgoy?

Can some please help me with this ?

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu
9 Replies 9

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chandu,

Have alook at Cisco Nestwork Assistant.

It might help and its free

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5931/index.html

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CNA is an OK suggestion but it is limited to 40 devices in a given community. You could create multiple communities and visualize your network by overlapping their respective maps.

Cisco Prime LMS has a nice topology tool but setting it up is not trivial and it would require a server even for an evaluation copy.

pille1234
Level 3
Level 3

A very quick and lightweight tool is wktools by Mathias Spoerr.  A small program, free and easy to use and it works perfectly in combination with cisco devices. You only need MS Visio to display the results.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are any of the switches setup with an SNMP string?

I believe there is SNMP monitoring for the switches but may be for few for not all. Because mrtg graphs are configured for few interfaces.

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

And if i work hard.. will it be possible by only CDP ?

How much time can we expect to complete it?

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Hi,

It's possible but it's not practical to use CDP just to trace your switched network.

Depending on your workload who knows when you'll complete this task. I've used
Solarwinds' LAN surveyor before but it's for a small LAN environment only. I'm not sure what's its limitation.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Just dig in and start doing it. 1-2 days of solid work and you'll be done.

Start at the core and proceed to each connected switch. Repeat until you've covered them all.

The key commands I'd use are:

show cdp nei

show cdp nei det | i address

show ip int br | ex una

Also separately save copies of the configs for later review.

term len 0

show run

All of the above while logging your sessions to file.

Here is another cool Windows based free tool.  I have used it in the past and it has worked out pretty good.  It is not perfect but can help you get things accomplished faster:

http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: