Cisco AP support max 20 Clients for high speed connection?

Answered Question
Dec 26th, 2013
User Badges:

Hi Guys

As we know the AP can assocaite more than 1000+ clients, but consider the performance and high speed and continuous, we are recommend to Connect MAX 20 Clients around. So My question is MAX connect to 20clients as per the radio (2.4G, 5G) or per the APs?

1262 is 2x 3 MIMO , what's that means?  as we know the 1262 heve 3 x2.4G antennas and 3x 5G antennas, So when a client connected to 2.4G radio. Does that means all the three 2.4G antennas for input, and all three 2.4G antenns for output?

3602 is 4 x4 MIMO, ?

Correct Answer by Leo Laohoo about 3 years 7 months ago

So My question is MAX connect to 20clients as per the radio (2.4G, 5G) or per the APs?

Rule-of-Thumb is 25 clients per AP. 

1262 is 2x 3 MIMO , what's that means?  as we know the 1262 heve 3 x2.4G antennas and 3x 5G antennas

MIMO means Multiple IN, Multiple OUT.  Therefore 2 x 3 means two antennas for in and 3 antennas for out.

So when a client connected to 2.4G radio. Does that means all the three 2.4G antennas for input, and all three 2.4G antenns for output?

Means two antennas listening out for INCOMING traffic and three antennas pushing OUT traffic

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Leo Laohoo Thu, 12/26/2013 - 20:40
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

So My question is MAX connect to 20clients as per the radio (2.4G, 5G) or per the APs?

Rule-of-Thumb is 25 clients per AP. 

1262 is 2x 3 MIMO , what's that means?  as we know the 1262 heve 3 x2.4G antennas and 3x 5G antennas

MIMO means Multiple IN, Multiple OUT.  Therefore 2 x 3 means two antennas for in and 3 antennas for out.

So when a client connected to 2.4G radio. Does that means all the three 2.4G antennas for input, and all three 2.4G antenns for output?

Means two antennas listening out for INCOMING traffic and three antennas pushing OUT traffic

donglei888999 Fri, 12/27/2013 - 00:29
User Badges:

Hi Leo,

One more question, for 3602E AP, it has 4 antennas which support both 2.4G and 5G radio. So if I deploy one 3602 AP in the aisle, and extend each of Antenna in the 4 rooms to provide good wirelss RF radation coverage , like Hotel.

is this possible?  if some clients in the room 1 which has one 3602 extended antennas, the clients will receive the data and send data by this one extended antenna or it also need receive or listening out others antennas?

not sure if you can understand what i meaning..

Leo Laohoo Fri, 12/27/2013 - 00:46
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

One more question, for 3602E AP, it has 4 antennas which support both 2.4G and 5G radio. So if I deploy one 3602 AP in the aisle, and extend each of Antenna in the 4 rooms to provide good wirelss RF radation coverage , like Hotel.

Ummmm ... This is not going to work. 

How do you expect to "extend" the antennas into the four rooms?  You're going to get a co-ax cable?  Well it ain't going to work well because the LONGER the cable the higher the signal loss.  So dragging the antennas to four rooms is a exercise of futility.  Plus, I am not sure what kind of co-ax cable you need.  I don't know if there is a co-ax capable of transmitting two different radios.

Look, I understand for a hotel to offer wi-fi to guests.  I also understand the need to cut costs.  But, if you are going to provide wi-fi to guests, why use the more-expensive 3600?  Heck, why use 3600E?  Go with 2600i.  What kind of wall?  How wide is each floor (outside wall to outside wall)?  These factors affect the placement of the AP (and more).  I'd recommend you get a wireless site survey done. 

donglei888999 Fri, 12/27/2013 - 00:57
User Badges:

Hi Leo,

Right now, we are using the Cisco 1262 AP mounted in the ceiling with ANT2422 and ANT5135 of one Guest room (three Rooms share one AP)  instead of aisle. 

For the wireless site survey, we also need put a AP there to do , right?

donglei888999 Fri, 12/27/2013 - 00:58
User Badges:

Can we use a directional Antenna which has 12dBi and setup in aisle ?

Leo Laohoo Fri, 12/27/2013 - 01:04
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Can we use a directional Antenna which has 12dBi and setup in aisle ?

Yes and no.  Yes, you can use this antenna?  But will it work?  No it won't.

Remember it is a DIRECTIONAL antenna.  So which means wireless signal is being shot at a single direction.  Next, the power.  -12 dBi is pretty strong.  Directional antenna is designed to shoot signal from Point A to Point B via a NARROW BEAM.  Not really a good idea to provide an wireless signal in an area. 

Right now, we are using the Cisco 1262 AP mounted in the ceiling with ANT2422 and ANT5135 of one Guest room (three Rooms share one AP)  instead of aisle. 

These are rubber duck/rubber duckies antenna.  This is a waste of money because this combination of antenna is very similar to the power and signal propagation of a cheaper 1140.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode