Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco asa high cpu and hangs

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I am having a cisco ASA5510 - 8.2(5) version in standalone mode. Randomly this firewall gets high cpu have to reboot it everytime.

during the issue, when enter show cpu usage, im getting core cpu as 99% after 5 minutes. Hence getting a console output also takes time.

I have just configured syslog and monitoring it. Apart from that do i need to check anything else right now. Because during the problem i dont get any

access to the fw. After reboot it works for sometime, and if we check connection count/cpu/memory etc all found to be normal.

pls help.

4 Replies 4

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried to check any possible Loop on the network?

The fact that you reload the ASA and the issue goes away sounds like a conn is stuck on the ASA or there is a process consumming the CPU.

Get the show process CPU when the issue happens, you will be able to know what is causing it.

Mike

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Any other commands you would prefer to collect. The console would be very slow to respond during the time of issue.

No problem.

Clear the counters on the interface. Grab the output of show interface, show traffic and show service-policy.

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike,

Since the console access is very very slow, i am planning to collect only the below. please suggest.

show cpu usage

show conn count

show process CPU

terminal page line 0

show local-host | include host|count/limit

Below is also a part of the this thread. Can you please copy past the Bug details or attach in a notepad please, since i do not have access to this bug.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2258409?tstart=0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card