Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Cisco Nexus 7K ospf with 6500 VSS

Answered Question
Jan 2nd, 2014
User Badges:

Hi,

I would like to check on the possible design setup for dynamic routing via ospf for the nexus switch. My setup is as below:

N7K -----------vpc --------- N7K

|                                |

|(L3 ospf)                    | (L3 ospf)

6500-----------vss---------6500

Besides having dedicated layer 3 interface/link aggregated (parallel routed ports) ospf between each nexus switch and each 6500 switch; I would like to check if it may be possible to create/have ospf between the N7K via the vpc/virtual peer link(without dedicated link between the N7K)? This is for redundancy in case one of the N7K uplink to the 6500 disconnects/removed such that the other nexus switch may route traffic successfully.

Any suggesstion is appreciated.

Correct Answer by Reza Sharifi about 3 years 7 months ago

Hi,

A separate link is preffered, but you don't have to have a separate link for the layer-3 connection between the 7ks.  You can use an SVI and use the existing peer link to route between them using OSPF.

HTH

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Reza Sharifi Thu, 01/02/2014 - 07:31
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN

Hi,

A separate link is preffered, but you don't have to have a separate link for the layer-3 connection between the 7ks.  You can use an SVI and use the existing peer link to route between them using OSPF.

HTH

Steven112 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 00:45
User Badges:

Hi Reza,

1. do you have document mentioned if i add extra link better than using vPC peer-link.

2. i read if enable OSPF over VPC   peer-link and  configure peer-gateway, the OSPF will fail ? please correct me

Thanks

aasaadsavola Mon, 09/19/2016 - 23:06
User Badges:

Golden Rule in VPC  :  any traffic pass via VPC Peer-Link and send it out to VPC port , this traffic will be dropped.

so if you running OSPF between NKs and 6500  , there is possibility for traffic to pass via Peer link and send it out to VPC ports which cause dropping the traffic.

from your diagram:  Switch 6500 connect to NKs as normal ports  so these ports called Orphan ports and so the traffic coming form Orphan ports can pass the vpc peer link.

Attachment: 

Actions

This Discussion