Views
Helpful
Replies

Is possible let multi UCS domain enable VM-FEX and join to the same vCenter

MENG YUAN HSIEH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

We have 7 UCS domain. But only have one vCenter. Now we want to enable VM-FEX on each UCS domain and join to the same vCenter. Is it work? I did not find any configuration limit description about this relation.

Or we must create 7 vCenter for each UCS domain? (But I feel it is not make sense.)

Best regards,
Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alexlembesis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Meng!

I opened a TAC case on this and after much discussion with Cisco, connecting multiple UCS domains to a single vCenter is supported.  However, it turns out that Cisco neglected to document this and the procedure to make it work.  You'll find that procedures were written in older documentation for VN-LINK and some for VM-FEX.  This documentation states that it's necessary to create new certificates and that the extension key must match.  This is NOT true any more with newer versions of UCSM and vCenter.  Cisco has told me they're going to update their documentation.

Here are the steps we took to connect two UCS domains to the same vCenter utilizing the default self-signed certificates.  I hope this helps...  Please mark this post as the correct answer when you get a chance.  Thanks!!

vCenter Version: 5.5

UCSM Version: 2.2(5a)

1. Under the VM tab in UCS Manager, click on VMware.
  2. Configure a unique extension key for each UCS domain.
  3. Click "Configure VMware Integration" on each UCS domain and Export the extension to local storage.
  4. Install the extensions from each UCS domain in vCenter.
  5. After the extensions are installed, go back to UCSM and click Next where you left off in Configure VMware Integration
  6. Run through the wizard and after this is complete, the UCS domains should now be connected to vCenter.

Multiple VM-FEX on Single vCenter

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Meng,

Unfortunately you can't do that.

When you start to use VM-FEX the control plane of the virtual networking is integrated to a pair of Fabric Interconnect (UCS Domain), where you will manage your entire virtual network. If you have more that one UCS-Domain the VM-FEX feature can not be used, alternately you may use the Nexus 1000v.

Richard

Hi Richard,

But we want to enable hight performance mode in VM-FEX. Nexus 1000v did not have this feature.

Best regards,

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

Hi Meng,

Unfortunately today isn't possible.

Think as a simple network with mutiple control planes trying to assume the same role or do that same thing. The VM-FEX tecnology still have this limitation so far.

I was wondering why you have 7 UCS-domains? Are all domains sharing the same storage layer, if not, you can't integrate it anyway.

Hi Richard,

Each UCS-domain for different service area. But we hope all the ESXi servers can be managed by single vCenter and all servers can enable high-performance mode on VM-FEX.

BTW. We total have 26 chassis and almost 150 blades.

Hi Richard,

I have a idea. If we deploy 7 vCenter for each UCS domain with VM-FEX. Can I setup vCenter "Linked Mode" for vCenter single point management?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Meng,

Should works, considering the vCenter Linked Mode limitations.

Regards.

Richard

Hi Richard,

OK! Thank's! I will try it.

Best regards,

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

Meng,

Did setting up VM-FEX across multiple UCS domains to multiple vCenters in linked mode work for you?  I'm currently in the same situation and the server infrastructure team isn't too happy that they may have to build two additional vCenters to so VM-FEX can work across our two UCS domains.  Let me know!

Hi Alex,

Because we have too many UCS domain. So we each UCS domain have they own vCenter. We did not use link mode.

Best regards,

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

alexlembesis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Meng!

I opened a TAC case on this and after much discussion with Cisco, connecting multiple UCS domains to a single vCenter is supported.  However, it turns out that Cisco neglected to document this and the procedure to make it work.  You'll find that procedures were written in older documentation for VN-LINK and some for VM-FEX.  This documentation states that it's necessary to create new certificates and that the extension key must match.  This is NOT true any more with newer versions of UCSM and vCenter.  Cisco has told me they're going to update their documentation.

Here are the steps we took to connect two UCS domains to the same vCenter utilizing the default self-signed certificates.  I hope this helps...  Please mark this post as the correct answer when you get a chance.  Thanks!!

vCenter Version: 5.5

UCSM Version: 2.2(5a)

1. Under the VM tab in UCS Manager, click on VMware.
  2. Configure a unique extension key for each UCS domain.
  3. Click "Configure VMware Integration" on each UCS domain and Export the extension to local storage.
  4. Install the extensions from each UCS domain in vCenter.
  5. After the extensions are installed, go back to UCSM and click Next where you left off in Configure VMware Integration
  6. Run through the wizard and after this is complete, the UCS domains should now be connected to vCenter.

Multiple VM-FEX on Single vCenter

Hi Alex,

Awesome. It's a huge news. Thank you for your update.

Best regards,

Meng-Yuan Hsieh (Nick)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card