WDS and Roaming with 1130AG APs

Answered Question
Jan 5th, 2014
User Badges:

Hi there,

I have a small Network with around 60 emlployees, the bulding is quite a challenge, however as it's quite an old building an the wireless signall strength isnt great when you roam from one room to another.

So as a solution we have purchased 4 1130AG access points.

What is the best way to allow roaming?

I've read posts about setting up WDS, although the documentation is a little hard to follow.

Can i just set-up idential access points on different chanels with the same SSID? will this work? Or should i look at WDS?

The clients in the building vary also, from iPhone, Android and Windows Clients, so a guidance on security would be great!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Correct Answer by Sandeep Choudhary about 3 years 7 months ago

Agree with Rasika..

if you are using 802.1x, then only you would want to configure WDS for the key caching.

if you are using a PSK, then all you need to do is configure the AP exactly the same way, with the exception of the IP address on the BVI interface, as long as the ssid and encryption are the same, and there is overlap between the cells the client should roam between the AP

Regards

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Rasika Nayanajith Fri, 01/10/2014 - 15:45
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Hi Andrew,

If you are using 802.1x then only WDS required to configure. If you are using WPA2/PSK then no WDS required and as long as you configure all your AP in same way, roaming should work.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses *****

Correct Answer
Sandeep Choudhary Sat, 01/11/2014 - 11:21
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Agree with Rasika..

if you are using 802.1x, then only you would want to configure WDS for the key caching.

if you are using a PSK, then all you need to do is configure the AP exactly the same way, with the exception of the IP address on the BVI interface, as long as the ssid and encryption are the same, and there is overlap between the cells the client should roam between the AP

Regards

Actions

This Discussion