cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3702i - 5GHz is spotty

jph
Level 1
Level 1

We have acquired three AP 3702i devices. These are in use on a WLC5508. We have noticed that clients (Macs, PCs, iPhones) have difficulty staying connected on the 5GHz band. Actually, the signal strength never seems to go down, but packets stop being passed from clients through the WLC for some reason. Any clients on the 2.4GHz bands do not seem to have an issue. I have tried disabling 802.11ac and that makes no difference. Disabling 5GHz altogether allows clients to stay connected to the 2.4GHz bands. The firmware is 7.6.100.0.

For what it's worth, we have many other AP models (AP1242s, 1252s, 3502s, and 3602s) in this same infrastructure that are functioning fine with 5GHz, and I configured the 3702s using the same AP groups as the previous units..

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Scott,
the laboratory tests have highlighted the problem of encryption AES on Release 7.6.100.0.

There are two possibility to by-pass the issue.

1) modify the configuration on WLAN to accept the encryption TKIP (worked good on 5Ghz)

2) Forcing the network card to work only to standard 802.11B/G/N (2,4 Ghz) without  802.11A (5 Ghz)

This is a solution until  release of new software on WLC

Rpargal

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

What is the DCA channel width configured, 80MHZ ? (in GUI wireless -> 802.11a/n/ac -> DCA -> Channel width)

Also check what frequency used for channel bonding this AP (in GUI wireless -> 802.11a/n/ac -> 3702i)

HTH

Rasika

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I had the same issue when loading v7.6 on my 2504 at home.  I have some 3602's and also an AC module.  Client connection would stop working, but my clients would still be in the run state.  I had to lower the session timer to min of 300 seconds just to force a re-auth which helped, but until that happened, connectivity was broke.  I messed around with it last week and decided to go back to v7.5 which I had no issues.  Maybe I will revisit it and see what I find.  I can't recall if my issues was with both bands or not, but I will load up v7.6 again and see.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

1.Can you reproduce this or is this random in nature.

2. How long before the client loses layer 3 ?

3. Can you do a show wlan <#> of the wlan in question

4. Can you also do a client debug to capture this event

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

This is what telling you guys earlier. This happens random but is only noticed when I'm using the device and notice that mail will not sync or browsing stops working. The debugs don't show anything and the clients are always on a run state. Unless I turn off and on the wireless and or the session timer hits, layer 3 is restored. I'm testing it again so I'm going to see if it still happens. I ended up clearing all my AP's and uploading the rcv image, so I will see if this happens again.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scoot, have you been able to get a capture and wireless sniff when this happens?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Not yet... Scoot... What the heck:)

-Scott

Scoot,

I just assumed it was isolated and you being you with all your crazy configs ...

I connected 2 laptops and testing over here..

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Stop complaining, Scoot.

Or we'll start calling you Scooby-Dooby. :D

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

haha.... you guy's are funny... I guess we need to start creating nick names for each other:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I guess we need to start creating nick names for each other:)    

Sure.  You can call me Leo. 

jph
Level 1
Level 1

"This happens random but is only noticed when I'm using the device and notice that mail will not sync or browsing stops working. The debugs don't show anything and the clients are always on a run state. Unless I turn off and on the wireless and or the session timer hits, layer 3 is restored."

This is precisely the behavior I see.

I have a similar problem.

I replaced the 3602e with ap 3702e with WLC 5508-HA and some HP client not working properly.

This week I prepare a lab to Fix the problem.

Have you solved the problem ?

Thanks.

Rpargal

There are open issues with v7.6 and the 3600's and 3700's. I have seen the issues with Apple devices along with some Windows machines.

-Scott

Thanks Scott,
the laboratory tests have highlighted the problem of encryption AES on Release 7.6.100.0.

There are two possibility to by-pass the issue.

1) modify the configuration on WLAN to accept the encryption TKIP (worked good on 5Ghz)

2) Forcing the network card to work only to standard 802.11B/G/N (2,4 Ghz) without  802.11A (5 Ghz)

This is a solution until  release of new software on WLC

Rpargal

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card