help adding second Wi-Fi network on same AP

Answered Question

I am looking for assistance in trying to setup a second wireless network so we would have two SSID’s (one for public and one for private users).

Our network is setup with native VLAN1 for wired computers and VLAN107 for wireless computers and everything is working great. I’m trying to add VLAN110 as the additional wireless network.

We are using a Cisco WLC2112 and 12 Cisco LAP1131 access points for the wireless network.

The wired network us using Cisco 3500 series POE switches and a Cisco 1800 series router.

The ports on the switch that connect to the AP’s are configured as follows:

switchport access vlan 107

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

I’m having trouble getting my head around how to setup the second wireless network on its own VLAN (VLAN110), while still using the existing access points. I have added the additional wireless network on the WLC2112, have setup a DHCP server for the new VLAN, but it’s getting an IP address from the same scope as VLAN107.

Where do I configure the new VLAN information on the wireless controller?

Should the ports on the switch that are connected to the AP’s be changed to trunk ports to accommodate both VLANs?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Correct Answer by Sandeep Choudhary about 3 years 7 months ago

HI Mark,

1.You need to create a dynamic interface on WLC.

Controller>Interface> click on New, enter interface(e.g. private) and Vlan ID:110 and apply.

Interface >edit page will appears, then u can enter network , mask and DHCP server address...etc.

2. Now you need to create a WLAN.

WLAN> create New, enter profile name , ssid and Wlan ID here then clcik on apply WLAN>edit page will appear.

Staus should be enable

Choose the right dynamic interface , which we created in step 1.

Chosse specifiy Security and other feature.

3.Configure swicth port for vlan 107 , 110 where WLC is connected.

I hope AP are in same network as your Management interafce of WLC.

Regards

Correct Answer by matthew gosling about 3 years 7 months ago

Hi,

You will need to create a second dynamic interface on the WLC for the additional subnet that you want and set the interface on the second WLAN to point at the new interface.

what you would want to do is have VLANX for the AP Manager subnet and then VLANY for internal users and VLANZ for external.

Let me know if you need more information - happy to help.

Thanks,

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
matthew gosling Tue, 01/14/2014 - 20:59
User Badges:

Hi,

You will need to create a second dynamic interface on the WLC for the additional subnet that you want and set the interface on the second WLAN to point at the new interface.

what you would want to do is have VLANX for the AP Manager subnet and then VLANY for internal users and VLANZ for external.

Let me know if you need more information - happy to help.

Thanks,

Correct Answer
Sandeep Choudhary Tue, 01/14/2014 - 23:25
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

HI Mark,

1.You need to create a dynamic interface on WLC.

Controller>Interface> click on New, enter interface(e.g. private) and Vlan ID:110 and apply.

Interface >edit page will appears, then u can enter network , mask and DHCP server address...etc.

2. Now you need to create a WLAN.

WLAN> create New, enter profile name , ssid and Wlan ID here then clcik on apply WLAN>edit page will appear.

Staus should be enable

Choose the right dynamic interface , which we created in step 1.

Chosse specifiy Security and other feature.

3.Configure swicth port for vlan 107 , 110 where WLC is connected.

I hope AP are in same network as your Management interafce of WLC.

Regards

Actions

This Discussion