Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem switching from AP-specific to Group-specific VLAN mapping

Sven Lindeke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Some days ago, I updated our 5508 WLC to software version 7.5.102.0.

With that version, it should be possible to have a VLAN mapping specific for a Flexconnect group that is set within Flexconnect Group settings.

I did that for all my Flexconnect groups and it works fine with new access point.

For existing access point, which already have an AP-specific VLAN mapping, it is not possible to switch to Group-specific.

When I mark the WLAN in Flexconnect setting of the AP and select "Remove AP specific", I get the error message "Request failed: Vlan is not enabled on this flexconnect".

I wonder what the problem could be, because for newly installed access points, it works fine. Did I miss some settings?

Regards,

Sven Lindeke

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post a screen shot?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the fast reply.

Here are the screen shots:

Settings "Flexconnect group"

Settings "Access Point"

Error message

I don't know... I'm running v7.6 and if I have eland as ap specific I'm able to remove that. Are you just trying to change the mapping per AP for certain access points?

-Scott

I'm trying to change it for an access point that already had a specific VLAN mapping before I updated to 7.5.

What I already tried is re-enabling "VLAN support", but that doesn't work either.

If I clear the config of the access point and reconfigure it from scratch, then everything works fine, but that's no solution, because I can't reconfigure more than 200 access points, which are needed all the time.

Why not change the WLAN to Vlan mapping via the cli? You can script that.

-Scott

Ok, looks that I found the problem:

Seems that Group-specific VLAN mapping is not supported on 1240 series.

On my newer 2600 series, everything works fine, even changing from AP-specific to Group-specific.

Is that correct?

If it's not supported by the 1240's then I would also assume it wouldn't work. Again, you can script something to change the WLAN to Vlan mappings if you need to change them.

-Scott

Ok, thanks.

I will use a script for the 1240 series access point and the Flexconnect group settings for 2600 series access points then.

It's somehow complicated, but there seems to be no other way.

Not really complicated. If you script something, it can take a few seconds to paste commands into the cli and make the changes. I do this a lot because I may have some one off settings.

-Scott

Hi,

Even I faced the same issue. Seems that when you try changing from H-Reap Groups to Flex-Connect groups, it somehow messes up the entire table.

the AP needs to be configured from Scratch in order to get this working.

My issue was we changed the controller from 4402 to 5508. 4402 was on code 5.x and 5508 was on code 7.x.

We have ~1100 Access Points in total.  I want to move to using the flex group for WLAN-VLAN mappings.  Is there some way that Cisco Prime can remove the AP-Specific mapping via templates or some other method?

I've had a look, but cant find anything.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: