cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC system MAC & STP MAC address

Manu Shankar
Level 1
Level 1

The system mac and root bridge mac addresses are same on both the primary and secondary vPC. How those are elected and related.

Commands:

sh vpc role

sh spanning-tree

Thanks,

Manu

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

VPC Primary switch MAC-address. I think this is assigned by the switch resoruces internally.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

Hi Manu,

As Amit says, the MAC addresses are assigned from an internal resource on the switch. On the Nexus 7000 the show sprom backplane command will give you the starting MAC and the number available.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Manu,

That is the VPC magic :-). That being said,when you have device configured as the VPC-peer, they use a common system MAC or the Primary VPC switch to be forwarded to the downlink devices for the STP. This way we modify the STP behaviour and the VPC domain represent itself as a single root bridge to STP which runs in the background. The downlink devices see the BPDU's coming from a single device as this is all controlled by the VPC Primary switch. VPC Primary switch syncronizes the STP state with peer switch using CFSoE. Once both the peers are synced, all the VPC ports are controlled by the VPC orimary switch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Thank you Amit.

I have a vPC between two N7K. I did show spanning-tree and show vpc role on both the device. The vpc-system mac (sh vpc role) and root-id and bridge-id (sh spanning-tree), all the 6 mac addresses are same. vPC local system-mac is different. So my question is, what mac address is electing as the Nexus root id mac address.

I hope i am not confusing you..:-)

Thanks,

Manu

VPC Primary switch MAC-address. I think this is assigned by the switch resoruces internally.

Cheers,

Hi Amit, appreciate your help. Sorry to disturb you again. In legacy switches show version command will display the switch mac address. What command can use in Nexus?

Hi Manu,

As Amit says, the MAC addresses are assigned from an internal resource on the switch. On the Nexus 7000 the show sprom backplane command will give you the starting MAC and the number available.

Regards

Okay, i will check. Thank you Steve & Amit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: