cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stop snmp polling notifications in switch log file

nn7963
Level 1
Level 1

When I perform a show logg on my switch it shows a notification like the one below every 5 minutes:

Jan 21 09:50:52.742: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGS: list 10 permitted 10.20.10.254 80 packets

It is filling up my switch log. It is caused by my Cacti server polling the switch every 5 minutes for statistics, but I don't want this filling up my logs.

Is there a way to stop this specific notification from being inserted in my logging buffer?

BTW... it is on all of my switches that I'm polling with Cacti

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Take a look at the access-list 10 and you'll see that it has the keyword log at the end of it. This is what is generating the message. If you remove the log keyword then you should no longer see the messages.

You may of course want to check as to why it was included in the first place. There may be something within your security policy that means you need to log this information.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Take a look at the access-list 10 and you'll see that it has the keyword log at the end of it. This is what is generating the message. If you remove the log keyword then you should no longer see the messages.

You may of course want to check as to why it was included in the first place. There may be something within your security policy that means you need to log this information.

Regards

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It could also be appended to your SNMP community. For example

snmp-server community MYSNMPCOMMUNITY RO 10

That sets an ACL on SNMP and it will also generate the logging message. You can lower your logging level to the buffer as well.

logging buffer 3

Hi Colin,

I agree that ACL 10 is appended to the snmp-server community command, but the %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGS messages are being generated because ACL 10 has the log keyword e.g., access-list 10 permit 10.20.10.0 0.0.0.255 log. We can keep the ACL on the snmp-server community command and not have to change the logging level simply by removing the log keyword.

Regards

Thanks Steve, you're right it was the log statement. I appreciate the help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card