Views
Helpful
Replies

Intervlan routing setup on a PAgP channel

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

Here is my topolog and have different VLAN's and the layer3 switch is the VTP server. The conection are group by PAgP protocol.

Now i want to setup intervlan routing with the hlep of layer3 switch, but i don't see such option on "interface portchannel 1" to create sub-interfaces.

Now on which ports should i configure sub-interfaces, in order to get the inter vlan routing.

ec.PNG

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Chandu       

Regards, Chandu
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chandu

First you have to enable IP Routing on the L3 capable switch:

#conf t

#ip routing

Then you have to create an SVI (Switched Virtual Interfaces) for each Vlan that you want to enable routing for:

#conf t

#interface vlan 10

#description VLAN 10 SVI

#ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

#no shut

In order for the SVI to be in an 'up/up' state, you need to make sure your trunk links to the downstream switch allow this Vlan across them.

Finally, your hosts in Vlan 10 need to have the IP address of the SVI as their default gateway which can be done statically or via DHCP.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Shit. Got it.

ROOT(config)#interface fastEthernet 0/0.1

% Only routers can have sub interfaces in this version.

Regards,
Chandu

Regards, Chandu

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would think using  SVI's would be easier in that setup than trying to do subinterfaces , where are you going to put the subinterfaces ? Make sure your spanning tree root for all vlans is on the 3750.

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I'm little bit confused here, how to configure VLAN routing on this. Here all the switches are interconnected with etherchannels. I configured IP address for VLAN interfaces on all the switches. All the devices are able to communicate in same VLAN but not intervlan.

Please don't ask to post any configuration output, becuase as of now my topology is crashed. But i wanna know how to know how to configure intervlan routing in the above topology.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Chandu

Regards, Chandu

And also all the devices are able to reach to 3750 and the show ip routes  command showed all the connected networks.

Regards,
Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Hi Chandu

First you have to enable IP Routing on the L3 capable switch:

#conf t

#ip routing

Then you have to create an SVI (Switched Virtual Interfaces) for each Vlan that you want to enable routing for:

#conf t

#interface vlan 10

#description VLAN 10 SVI

#ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

#no shut

In order for the SVI to be in an 'up/up' state, you need to make sure your trunk links to the downstream switch allow this Vlan across them.

Finally, your hosts in Vlan 10 need to have the IP address of the SVI as their default gateway which can be done statically or via DHCP.

Hope this helps

The 3560 should have all the vlans defined on SVI's as shown by devilsadvocate .  The  2960's should have a single address assigned to them and that is to manage the switch .There should be no other addresses assigned on the 2960's. Add the default gateway on the 2960's pointing to the L3 SVI on the 3560 you are using to manage the 2960's .  The root of the spanning tree should be on the 3560 for all vlans .Set this explicitly as you have many loops in your design. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card