cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tcl script to identify unused ports

nikkitodd92
Level 1
Level 1

So I've been trying to find a way to run a TCL script on a large number of 3750 switches which will identify any unused ports and disable them, but I'm not entirely sure since the ports would always differ from switch to switch, the rest of the script as far as disabling them and putting them into an unused vlan is no problem, only the identifying which actual ports would need to run through and be shut confuses me. I would be pushing a job to multiple switches containg the script however for the life of me I am unable to come up with a way to identify the correct ports on a per switch basis by pushing only one script.

3 Replies 3

Ton V Engelen
Level 3
Level 3

Well

we struggled with some similar script or a while.

What we do is , a port is considered unused if both the input packet count and output packet count = 0 after an amount of time (days, weeks)

Example of unused port (we cleared all the counters on the switch 3 weeks ago)

GigabitEthernet1/0/6 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 0 broadcasts (0 multicasts)

0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets

0 unknown protocol drops

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Hope it helps!

Oh wow, that is brilliant, but how would you pull that information. I assume you wrote it into an if statement, but how was that data pulled and differentiated from all others. Did you use a while loop to check all ports and then if the input and output packets were 0 then they were considered unused and placed into an unused vlan

Did you use a while loop to check all ports and then if the input and output packets were 0 then they were considered unused and placed into an unused vlan

Hi

yes, thats how it works here.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card