cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual wan routing question

mattshenefield
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having an issue with my MPLS. I'm not sure the best way to describe it other than an example.

I connect to a website owned by Chrysler.  Sometimes it works, oftentimes  portions of the site do not respond.

My first step is pinging the remote network.  If I get a reply, it is something like  wg.random#.dc.chrysler.com.  If I don't get a reply, I have to wait 10-15 minutes for another server to reply (wg.random#3.dc.chrysler.com).

When I traceroute during a Request timed out, I make it about 4 or 5 hops outside my MPLS router.  My MPLS provider blames it on everyone outside their network.

If I go out my backup ISP provider (Cox fiber), it always works all of the time.

I want to use Cox in 2 situations.  The first is when my MPLS goes down (floating static route).  The second is to send Chrysler traffic out my Cox interface when MPLS to Chrysler fails.

Because there are a ton of destination servers and a large IP range, is it possible to send traffic headed to Chrysler out my Cox interface while keeping all other traffic flowing through my MPLS network?

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Matt

Do you know the IP address(es) for the web site ?

Jon

No.  The only way I can determine where they are connecting is with a ping. 

They are using a 3rd party to host and I've been unsuccessful in getting the range.  What I do know is that there is a large variance between both the first octect and the second octect.

Matt

Okay, i have never done it but i thought maybe you could use NBAR (to match the URL) together with PBR to direct the traffic out over the secondary link.

So a quick search and i found this thread although you may be able to find others. I can't guarantee it will work but it may be worth a try -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2051012

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card