Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

wireless lan redundency

Unanswered Question
Feb 4th, 2014
User Badges:

I have a site with WLC5508 connecting 250 aps.

i would like to buy a backup device for the same devices.

do i have to buy 250 license again for the new controller or can they share the same licenses ?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Tue, 02/04/2014 - 09:25
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You can buy a WLC 5508 HA sku and run either HA AP SSO or N+1. The other option is not to buy the HA sku and you would have to buy licenses.

For the value, get a 5508 HA sku

N+1
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Ava...

AP SSO
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Scott Fella Tue, 02/04/2014 - 09:26
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Forgot to mention. The license is shared only when using AP SSO. With N+1, the WLC is a backup and you don't need license. It will support up to 500 access points as a backup WLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

manassin Wed, 02/12/2014 - 16:47
User Badges:

Hi,

You do not need to configure the unit as Secondary if it is a factory ordered HA SKU that can be ordered from release 7.3 onwards. A factory ordered HA SKU is a default Secondary unit, and will take the role of the Standby WLC the first time it is paired with an Active WLC that has a valid AP Count License.

If you want to convert any existing WLC as a Standby WLC, do so using the config redundancy unit secondary command in the CLI. This CLI command will only work if the WLC which is intended to work as Standby has some number of permanent license count. This condition is only valid for the 5500 WLC, where a minimum of 50 AP Permanent licenses are needed to be converted to Standby.

do i have to buy 250 license again for the new controller or can they share the same licenses ?

-- If it is an HA-SKU WLC them we will not need any additional AP License

-- If it is an existing WLC then we need atleast 50 AP license on the WLC. In this case the Active and Standby WLC setup would be :

WLC(Primary , 250 AP lic) ------------ WLC(Secondary, 50 AP Lic)

Note: Please check the software version on the WLCs as it is not supported on older codes. The most stable code for AP SSO HA setup is 7.4.110.0

Thanks and regards,

Manas Pratap Singh.

Actions

This Discussion