Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility with SFP modules

Hi,

I have a query, I need connect a Switch 6500 with a switch HP, the switch HP has a HP X242 10 SFP module and need connect to the switch 6500 with a module CVR-X2-SFP10G. I need to know if this modules are compatible.

Thanks for the help.

4 Replies 4

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Typically, Cisco does not support the use of third-party transceiver devices. 

Would the HP equipment support the use of a Cisco SFP?  The Cisco compatibility matrix for 10G transceivers is the place to look for supported devices.  I do not see the 6500 supporting 10G SFP+ active copper or optical cable assemblies with a reach of 10 meters.

Hello Tom, the information was very helpful. The team decide buy the CVR-X2-SFP10G module, in my 6500 switch I have the WS-X6716-10GE module. I refer to the compatibility matrix but I don't see any information about this module specifically, I will appreciate the help on this problem.

According to the 6500 module installation manual, and a Q&A document,

"Q. What is the difference between WS-X6716-10G-3C and WS-X6716-10G-3CXL?

A. Both modules offer 16 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet and share the same base board, WS-X6716-10GE. WS-X6716-10G-3C comes with distributed forwarding card 3C (WS-F6700-DFC3C), and WS-X6716-10G-3CXL comes with distributed forwarding card 3CXL (WS-F6700-DFC3CXL)."

"A sticker is placed on the module faceplate identifying it as either a WS-X6816-10G-2T or WS-X6816-10G-2TXL depending on whether a WS-F6K-DFC4-E or WS-F6K-DFC4-EXL daughter card is installed on the module."

"Not all 10-GB transceiver versions may be supported on your module. Refer to your software release notes to determine if a specific 10-GB transceiver is supported on your module."

It seems you will need to determine which daughter card or forwarding card is installed in the base WS-C6716-10GE board; then refer to the software release notes for transceiver compatibility.  The longer reach SFP+ copper or active optical interfaces draw more power, thus they may not be supported with the X2 to SFP+ converter.  

Hi Tom, we decide buy a Xenpak compatible module and a SFP module for the HP switch, both device will be connected by fiber optic. Thanks for the help.