Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility with SFP modules

Hi,

I have a query, I need connect a Switch 6500 with a switch HP, the switch HP has a HP X242 10 SFP module and need connect to the switch 6500 with a module CVR-X2-SFP10G. I need to know if this modules are compatible.

Thanks for the help.

4 Replies 4

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Typically, Cisco does not support the use of third-party transceiver devices. 

Would the HP equipment support the use of a Cisco SFP?  The Cisco compatibility matrix for 10G transceivers is the place to look for supported devices.  I do not see the 6500 supporting 10G SFP+ active copper or optical cable assemblies with a reach of 10 meters.

Hello Tom, the information was very helpful. The team decide buy the CVR-X2-SFP10G module, in my 6500 switch I have the WS-X6716-10GE module. I refer to the compatibility matrix but I don't see any information about this module specifically, I will appreciate the help on this problem.

According to the 6500 module installation manual, and a Q&A document,

"Q. What is the difference between WS-X6716-10G-3C and WS-X6716-10G-3CXL?

A. Both modules offer 16 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet and share the same base board, WS-X6716-10GE. WS-X6716-10G-3C comes with distributed forwarding card 3C (WS-F6700-DFC3C), and WS-X6716-10G-3CXL comes with distributed forwarding card 3CXL (WS-F6700-DFC3CXL)."

"A sticker is placed on the module faceplate identifying it as either a WS-X6816-10G-2T or WS-X6816-10G-2TXL depending on whether a WS-F6K-DFC4-E or WS-F6K-DFC4-EXL daughter card is installed on the module."

"Not all 10-GB transceiver versions may be supported on your module. Refer to your software release notes to determine if a specific 10-GB transceiver is supported on your module."

It seems you will need to determine which daughter card or forwarding card is installed in the base WS-C6716-10GE board; then refer to the software release notes for transceiver compatibility.  The longer reach SFP+ copper or active optical interfaces draw more power, thus they may not be supported with the X2 to SFP+ converter.  

Hi Tom, we decide buy a Xenpak compatible module and a SFP module for the HP switch, both device will be connected by fiber optic. Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: